You are here

House Music Theory

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

House Music Theory

Postby RichD » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I produce house music and I have previously played lead and rythem guitar. Mainly blues stuff. I have just bought a cheap bass guitar to DI into my DAW to record some more funky bass lines but I don't know what scales and musical structure house music typically uses. Most of the stuff I am thinking of is eaither quite discoey or latiny. The kind of stuff I am talking about is typical Hed Kandi.

Can anyone recomend what styles I need to try and learn please?
RichD
Poster

Re: House Music Theory

Postby Doll Face » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:20 am

listen to house music and work out what they're using. very simple structures. often one chord all the way through with a bass line repeating every bar.
Doll Face
Poster

Postby agent funk » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:36 am

no no!

why did you reply to this?

I was enjoying watching the total lack of response to a rather silly question from a "house music producer".
agent funk
Frequent Poster

Postby Commander » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:32 pm

RichD wrote:Can anyone recomend what styles I need to try and learn please?

All styles.

That question is like asking "how many ping pong balls does it take to fill a squash court."
Commander
Regular
Stand by for action - we are about to launch Stingray!
Cue irritating bongo music ...

Postby bequick_x » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:45 pm

Buy some popular music theory books, low grade exam books etc... Then learn/ compose bass lines and see if there is a connection between the theory you've learnt.
bequick_x
Regular

Postby Syncratic » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:23 pm

Listen to want you like, play what sounds good
Syncratic
Regular

Postby turbodave » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:12 am

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!
turbodave
Frequent Poster

My head hurts!

Postby TBTS » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:03 am

bmm tish bmm tish bmm tish bmm tish bmm tish bmm tish bmm tish bmm tish bmm tish bmm tish bmm tish bmm tish bmm tish bmm tish bmm tish

in all seriousness, if you want to write any house music with even an ounce of originality, i suggest you listen to all genres, and even write other genres, to a point that you fully understand them, and what they require.

then you can strip them back to their raw elements, and use those elements in whatever genre you so wish.
TBTS
Regular
Apple Certified Technician + songwriter ** Shiny New Website with new music, videos etc... **
http://www.turnbacktospring.com

Postby Commander » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:07 pm

Commander wrote:That question is like asking "how many ping pong balls does it take to fill a squash court."

The answer to that also depends on if there are any people in the squash court at the time. In answer to your original question you need to ask yourself what sort of music you would like to play and how many people on the squash court.
Commander
Regular

Postby turbodave » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:27 pm

turbodave wrote:AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!
turbodave
Frequent Poster

My head hurts!

Postby tomafd » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:39 pm

turbodave wrote:
turbodave wrote:AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk bonk

(the sound of my head hitting the table- in a perfect 4 on the floor style, naturally)
tomafd
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:12 pm

First lay down the foundations and construct it from there, you'll want 4 on the floor and walls of sound built to withstand pounding beats, visit sites that have examples you can check out and maybe even cement relations with other houzers

What's the difference between house music and not in the house music - stadium rock?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby Commander » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:02 pm

No no no! It's all about how may people are on the squash court when you fill it with ping pong balls I tell you!
Commander
Regular

Postby Nightfly » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:16 pm

...the difference between House Music and Garage? ...they're actually very similar, Garage is just a bit smaller and off to one side.
Nightfly
Poster

Postby IvanSC » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:38 pm

Went to a concert in France last Thursday.

Garage rock.
Keyboards drums and guitar.

Rather loud and irritating.
Unmelodic, incompetently played - everything I woud expect from young "you`re too old to understand ou rmusic, man" band.

And I use the term `band` in its context as an elastic method of bundling things together.

Would have preferred it if it had been next door but three`s garage rock.

An preferably filled with the Commanders acoustic foam-filled ping pong balls.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster

Me? But I`m such a loveable old bugger!

Postby OneWorld » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:13 pm

Nightfly wrote:...the difference between House Music and Garage? ...they're actually very similar, Garage is just a bit smaller and off to one side.

Do you have to have a SHELL suit to play garage music then?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby tomafd » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:56 pm

Nightfly wrote:...the difference between House Music and Garage? ...they're actually very similar, Garage is just a bit smaller and off to one side.

I'm starting a new genre, down the garden a bit. I'm going to call it Green House (you heard it here first...)
tomafd
Frequent Poster

Postby turbodave » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:17 pm

at a time when I was" in between jobs" an exercise company paid me a nice sum for 12 housey tunes, completely unaware that I had written them on the Playstation 1 Music game.
turbodave
Frequent Poster

My head hurts!

Postby DavidW » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:21 pm

Logical conclusion: all this talk of bouncing balls and squash courts leads to Bucephalus Bouncing Ball by Aphex Twin. Listen to it. Then listen to some Bach, Tchaikovsky, Debussy, Perotin, Mozart, other western-european composers, then world musics (Indian, Chinese, African, S.American). Then listen some more, and listen some more. That's just for starters.
DavidW
Regular

Postby Syncratic » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:46 pm

turbodave wrote:at a time when I was" in between jobs" an exercise company paid me a nice sum for 12 housey tunes, completely unaware that I had written them on the Playstation 1 Music game.

Impressive, but the now 21 year old Dubstep producer Skream made his first songs on that game, kicking off the genre in 2005 at the age of 17. Not bad eh?
Syncratic
Regular

Postby turbodave » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:24 pm

Yeah, it became quite a nifty interface(the controller) especially for a games nerd at the time.I could write a housey tune in 10 mins and then complete another level of tomb raider...aaaaa the life of a househusband! I hasten to add this was about 10 yrs ago!!...ahem I now work extremely hard of course!
turbodave
Frequent Poster

My head hurts!

Postby The Bunk » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:28 pm

tomafd wrote:I'm starting a new genre, down the garden a bit. I'm going to call it Green House (you heard it here first...)

...which could be misconstrued as Environmentally-Friendly House. You could have hit on something there...
The Bunk
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:41 pm

So did Robert Plant play GreenHouse Music, RootsManuva too I suppose!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby tomafd » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:17 pm

The Bunk wrote:
tomafd wrote:I'm starting a new genre, down the garden a bit. I'm going to call it Green House (you heard it here first...)

...which could be misconstrued as Environmentally-Friendly House. You could have hit on something there...

That would be what you used to hear at 3am up in the (ahem ...) 'sacred space' field at Glastonbury - ie, a bunch of drongos beating the crap out of their bongos. (This year it just seemed to be full of drunk teenagers, and not a bongo to be heard)
tomafd
Frequent Poster

Postby turbodave » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:46 pm

Drunk teenagers ARE good for summat then!!
turbodave
Frequent Poster

My head hurts!

Postby Chucho » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:03 pm

sample a minor triad so that you can trigger it from a keyboard.
play different notes up and down the keyboard until you find a bit that sounds good.
like this
major 7 chords work well for this.
Chucho
Poster

Postby Loren_vibecorner_monocult » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:45 pm

this is in response to some of the ridiculous statements made by some of the people slating what they think is house music. ure just thinking of the mainstream crap that you hear everyday on the radio. get a grip and listen to some of the more club orientated tracks, the technicalities that go into making this genre of music including techno, minimal and anything with a house background is beyond your grasp! im not hitting the roof about your immature comments but i do both, live recordings with instruments and produce house, tec etc.. and it takes a lot more skill and knowledge to produce a releasable track than to just recording and playing in a guitar for example. the science thats behind the scenes of producing and mastering digital music is to much for some people i guess???
Loren_vibecorner_monocult

Postby Jonnypopisical » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:52 pm

I think there are high levels of ignorance from lots of high level peeps! Yes it was a daft question but had he not mentioned house music would it have riled so many posters? Why is house music dismissed when it's roots stem from Jazz and can include very complex chords and poly rhythms. Of course there is a lot of rubbish house music out there but there is also a lot of rubbish music of all styles.

JP
Jonnypopisical
Frequent Poster

Mac Pro, Logic Pro, lots of software and 17 hard drives!

Postby Chucho » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:16 pm

Well I was taking the piss but it doesn't translate well on the internet.

ho hum
Chucho
Poster

Postby Andi » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:36 pm

I'm sure that had I posted that I'm a producer of orchestral symphonies and I've just bought a cello to add a bit of texture to some pieces; what should I play? I would have been received with enormo respect and assistance?

Coat.
Andi
Frequent Poster
Andi, www.thedustbowlaudio.com Mixing, Mastering, Audio Editing (and articles) at The Dustbowl Audio

Next