You are here

wav or cd?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

wav or cd?

Postby agent funk » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:09 am

I have an AW4416 and was wondering whether I should master to a cd on an external cd recorder in real time, import it to iTunes as an AIFF and make copies from it. The alternative would be to export the stereo file as a 16 bit WAV (on a cd) to iTunes and convert to an audio cd from there.

I'm trying to save the life of the internal cd writer for back-ups only. I'm sure iTunes isn't the best software for this but it's all I have at the moment. I'm not expecting there to be any audible difference, just wondering which method would be most reliable for errors etc.
agent funk
Frequent Poster

Re: wav or cd?

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:57 am

Ripping audio from a CD is always going to be less reliable than taking a WAV from a CD ROM. There is almost no error correction when ripping, whereas if the CD ROM can be read by the PC, then you can be certain that there are zero errors. Rest assured that the PC will give you error dialogue boxes if there is any problem!

If you want to keep the Yamaha going, find out what burners are compatible and buy a few, they're cheap. Worth it IMO, it is a nice machine.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

madtheory creations

Soundware Shop

Postby agent funk » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:05 pm

thanks, I thought so but wasn't sure.

I will look into getting some spare cd drives as you suggest, before they become too hard to find. The existing one still works but I'm trying to keep it for back-ups etc. rather than churning out audio cd copies.
agent funk
Frequent Poster

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:59 pm

Ah, if you want to just make audio copies, you can make one CD ROM in the Yamaha with WAVs of your mixes, put that in the Mac and then use iTunes to make duplicates by importing the WAVs in. Make sure iTunes is set to WAV or Apple Lossless though. The default is AAC which is not sufficient for CD duplication use.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

madtheory creations

Soundware Shop