You are here

need the help choosing an EQ

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

need the help choosing an EQ

Postby czar » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:27 am

I'm looking at either the TL audio 5013 or the JDK R24 as my first outboard EQ. Price for both are about the same, so I'm trying to decide which would be better for my first EQ. The TL audio has a Q knob, the JDK does not but it is an API EQ. The JDK doesn't look like much but the API part of it is drawing me closer to it over the TL audio.
czar
Regular

Re: need the help choosing an EQ

Postby czar » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:13 am

The toft audio atc-2 is very attractive at its price point also
czar
Regular

Postby EnlightenedHand » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:26 am

What are you planning to equalize and what kind of sound are you interested in going for. Those questions can help guide you in the right direction with which EQ to select. It's all about the way it sounds and how you plan to use it.
EnlightenedHand
Frequent Poster

Postby Zukan » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:41 am

Enlightened is on the money and you need to factor in the type of EQ you need and what the process it is needed for. There is a huge difference with using EQ at the tracking stage (I rarely do this) to EQ at the mix/production stage. There are corrective and creative and it really comes down to which and that will determine the type of EQ you will need.

Personally, I use EQ ITB and only ever use outboard for specific 'colour' when producing or transparency and colour when mastering.
Zukan

Samplecraze   Stretch That Note Masterclasses

Postby czar » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:55 am

I'd be using it for mixing not tracking. I just want a hardware EQ so I can turn to something else than using plug ins all the time
czar
Regular

Postby * User requested deletion 2 * » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:39 am

czar wrote:The toft audio atc-2 is very attractive at its price point also

Anyone know if this is derived from the same design as the channel eq in the Toft atb boards? In which case it'd be a great place to start - I love what that eq can do to just about any source.

What's your budget?
* User requested deletion 2 *
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:35 am

Yes, pretty much everything with a Toft label on is derived in some way from the Trident Series 80B...

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby EnlightenedHand » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:32 pm

czar wrote:I'd be using it for mixing not tracking. I just want a hardware EQ so I can turn to something else than using plug ins all the time
Even if it's for mixing, to me at least, the way you're proceeding here is as though you are a painter asking: "Can you help me choose a color to paint with?"

Naturally what matters is what you're trying to paint and what aesthetic you're striving for, so too with audio mixing. All equalizers are different and sound unique within certain applications. What exactly do you want to do? It's not enough to simply say, "I want to mix with it."
EnlightenedHand
Frequent Poster

Postby JamesSimpson » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:42 pm

You could also say he is asking which make of paint holds its colour best, has the most vibrant colour, weather resistant, etc....

The type of EQ matters less than what you do with it surely?

But to the question of a useful flexible eq at a price, that we could help him with? Perhaps.
JamesSimpson
Frequent Poster