You are here

Monitors for Home Use

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Monitors for Home Use

Postby lasvegasmallard » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:57 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to make a decision on a monitor to use in a Trifield setup in my 20'x20' living room.

The two monitors that I'm interested in are the K&H O300 and the ATC SCM16A.

I've heard the 16a's here in Las Vegas and I like them. I've read good things about the O300's all over the internet and I'm intrigued by them as well. I really can't decide between these two.

I was hoping that I might get some opinions here regarding which would work better in my setup.

I apologize for posting here in a professional forum, I've tried various consumer forums and most people haven't heard of either of these brands.

Thanks.
lasvegasmallard
New here

Re: Monitors for Home Use

Postby RegressiveRock » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:11 pm

O300s are lovely: a revealing, tightly defined sound. I'm jealous already. I've not heard the 16as.

Reg
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster

Postby lasvegasmallard » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:27 pm

I should give more detail about the setup.

I have a Meridian processor that does the Trifield (LCR) and room correction below 250hz.

The monitors will be mounted to a wall (12' wide) just above ear height and my plasma will be mounted above the center monitor.

I realize that fastening monitors to a wall isn't ideal, and I think the room correction will help in that respect. I originally planned to use three stand mounted ATC SCM20asl's in this setup, until I came to my senses
lasvegasmallard
New here

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:10 pm

If you are expecting to use them for films, and enjoy typical sound levels, then neither will go loud enough or handle the LF well without a sub.

The ATCs will probably suit a domestic setting better than the O300s

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby lasvegasmallard » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:14 pm

I plan on crossing over to a sub below 90hz.

As a reference, I've had a pair of Proac Tablette's in the same room and they were plenty loud.
lasvegasmallard
New here

Postby Ted Kendall » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:18 pm

Look at PMC, whose range also includes subwoofers. They sound good and can handle lots of power, too.
Ted Kendall
Regular

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:36 pm

lasvegasmallard wrote:
I originally planned to use three stand mounted ATC SCM20asl's in this setup, until I came to my senses

For surround monitoring on location I use five of them with an SCM0.1/15ASL sub; it's a nice combination but not exactly visually ideal for domestic bliss. The 20s are a little ...er... industrial in appearance.

I also use the 20s for smaller scale stereo work not requiring the fuller range of the SCM100ASLs or, with the sub, as a smaller alternative to the SCM100ASLs where I need fuller range monitoring in spaces where dragging in the larger speakers is impractical.

I'm not sure I'd ever claim to have come to my senses

Postby lasvegasmallard » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:37 pm

I was referring to the monetary outlay for three 20's The appearance is not an issue for me, and the 16's use the same enclosure.

I'm mostly concerned with having enough SPL to fill my room, keeping in mind that whatever I end up with won't have to do sub 90hz duties.
lasvegasmallard
New here