You are here

Toneport UX8 USB recording issues - White noise and lowered pitch of recording

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Toneport UX8 USB recording issues - White noise and lowered pitch of recording

Postby PhlipD » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:36 am

Heyy there!

I just purchased a Toneport UX8, and am using an AKG Perception 220 Microphone.

I can hear the Microphone perfectly through the Headphone output on the UX8 with no issues with the sound quality.

However when I record into my 2009 iMac 21.5", 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, with 4GB of RAM, and with no other program open other than my DAW (Garageband or Logic) there is White noise in the recording and pitch of the recording is lowered slightly.

I have tried changing the Buffer size, and even on Large it has the same problem.

I have no idea what to do!

I have posted this also on the Line 6 Fourms, however I haven't had a reply from them at all, so I figured this is the next best place

Please reply ASAP,

Cheers,
Phil D
PhlipD

Re: Toneport UX8 USB recording issues - White noise and lowered pitch of recording

Postby ef37a » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:05 am

" this is the next best place"

^^^^^^"How to win friends and influence people"!

Heheh! I am sure someone will be along to help you soon. I know jack of macs.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Re: Toneport UX8 USB recording issues - White noise and lowered pitch of recording

Postby ryan mead » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:03 am

Welcome to the forums! It doesn't sound like your problems are related to your computer's processing capacity.

PhlipD wrote:there is White noise in the recording and pitch of the recording is lowered slightly.

Not sure about the white noise (is it really white noise? is it constant or intermittent? can you upload a sample somewhere?) but the lowered pitch might be due to your computer's / DAW's sample rate. Maybe you're recording at 48kHz and playing back at 44.1? Check the settings in Logic/GB and the mac's Audio/Midi settings...
ryan mead
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:03 am

The white noise is often indicative of a clocking problem, and the different pitch sugegsts that the recording and replay sample rates are different for some reason.

Check that the USB cable is a good one and not damaged -- try using a different cable.

Check that the UX8 control software is set up properly, and that the unit is set to run on it's internal clock, not some external clock. Also that the recording software is operating at the same sample rate as the UX8.

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ElecTrika-MixTek » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:45 am

I recommend that you register your product - this is often a requirement for customer care; I'm sure they would be pleased to respond to you then.
ElecTrika-MixTek
Regular