You are here

A Herman Miller Aeron Chair??

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

A Herman Miller Aeron Chair??

Postby sthum » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 pm

Has anybody had any experience with this chair for studio work?

Is it really as good as people say and more importantly is it really worth £1200??

sthum
Regular

Re: A Herman Miller Aeron Chair??

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:12 pm

It is extremely comfortable if you bother to optimise all the settings for your own body dimensions, but I've seen them around for half the price you're qoting.

If it's to be used as a general purpose chair for anyone and everyone, no, it's not worth the expense in my opinion, because the benefits of being able to shape it perfectly to support a specific person are lost.

The Mirra chair, designed by the smae people and with the same level of adjustability is about half the price, still loks pretty funky, and is every bit as comfortable. I use one in my office and have done for several years now, and wouldn't be without it.

There are plenty of other well designed and supportive chairs around too, of course...

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby sthum » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:25 pm

Thanks Hugh!

I thought long and hard before buying what I thought was a comfortable studio chair from iKea! Turns out after buying and then using it for only a couple of hours the comfort part disappears completely and that chair cost me nearly £200!
So I'm keen not to make the same mistake twice and I decided a long time ago that you nearly always get what you pay for in this life!

I'm after the one with all the extras and the cool looking chrome finish! = The Aeron Gold Deal - ONLY £899 inc VAT! Looks to be the best option!

The link below shows the one I'm after. When you add in the (optional) extras it hits close to the £1200 mark.
I know.... its a crazy price but hey...you only live once, right??

http://www.aeronchairuk.com/?gclid=CL3a35zSnaECFY6X2AodrTC2wQ

Delivery within mainland UK is free BUT for some daft reason Delivery to Northern Ireland costs a ridiculous £160??

sthum
Regular

Postby R_A » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:27 pm

Have a look on eBay before buying new.

Built to last a second hand purchase is a viable option.

Got mine for £180! Best money I ever spent on the studio
R_A
Regular

Postby VoxJohnson » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:51 am

Yes!
Tried about half a dozen chairs before buying a second hand Aeron chair.
Best money I ever spend.
VoxJohnson

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:14 am

I'm not going to stop saying this! Bad posture and tension, not lack of support, cause back strain. A plain stool is all you need, plus attention to these factors. Height adjustment is useful. Add a cushion if you suffer from piles. If you want to buy a flash toy, pick something more useful.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby G-Doubleyou » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:09 pm

Great chair, totally adjustable.

I have two ruptured discs, no problems being seated for hours during sessions.

G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

G-Dub Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Postby Kwackman » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:00 pm

sthum wrote:.BUT for some daft reason Delivery to Northern Ireland costs a ridiculous £160?? .

Yeah, that bit of water costs a fortune to cross!
Ask if they will allow a courier to collect.
I got a Scottish courier to collect a motorcycle exhaust (nothing to do with chairs, but it was a BIG parcel) from somewhere near London to Belfast for £25!

If you want the name of the company (I'm not on commission!) PM me as I think giving their name here would be advertising?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster

Cubase, guitars.

Postby Mash » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:56 am

Worth every penny, I consider my non-musical investments (Aeron, 30" screen, Wacom etc.) equally, if not more as important as the things that make noise.

Mash
Mash
Regular

Postby oopfoo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:13 am

Exalted Wombat wrote:I'm not going to stop saying this! Bad posture and tension, not lack of support, cause back strain. A plain stool is all you need, plus attention to these factors. Height adjustment is useful. Add a cushion if you suffer from piles. If you want to buy a flash toy, pick something more useful.

While at the core, Mr. Wombat is certainly correct, how many of us maintain proper posture with the concentration and intensity of a yoga master...ALL DAY LONG? A good chair HELPS you achieve the results--undoubtedly derived from the long years of training in the Far East--Mr. Wombat enjoys.

As a professional software developer and writer for the past 20 years, I've owned a raft of high-end chairs and feel that the Aeron and the Steelcase LEAP are both chairs well-worth the consideration of someone who spends a lot of time at a desk or console. Despite the backlash against Aerons we saw in the dot-com collapse 10 years ago, the chair works. It's comfortable and tends to keep you just a BIT less tired after a long day.

I'm sitting in one as I type this missive. I love it.

Although Mr. Wom
oopfoo
Poster

--Michael

Tallahassee, Florida USA

Postby * User requested deletion 2 * » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:03 am

Exalted Wombat wrote:I'm not going to stop saying this! Bad posture and tension, not lack of support, cause back strain. A plain stool is all you need, plus attention to these factors. Height adjustment is useful. Add a cushion if you suffer from piles. If you want to buy a flash toy, pick something more useful.

Since when has life been about 'all you need'? The thrill you seem to get (demonstrated in this and the other recent chair thread) out of looking down on folks who aspire to something other than four sticks with a plank on top illustrates a pretty fundamental lack of understanding of human nature. Whilst it's possible to sit comfortably on a stool (and if you're a longstanding yoga / Alexander Technique practitioner, maybe even do it for longer than quarter of an hour without grumbling), have you ever tried to lean back on one? Quick, calm that pedant rising within yourself that's screaming 'You don't need to lean back if you have good posture!' and consider this -

People like to lean back in their chairs. Sure, just like picking our noses or scratching our balls, we don't need to do it, but we like to do it.

Ever tried whizzing across the floor on a stool? Mmmmm, tricky, isn't it, what with the lack of wheels and all; but with a chair - sorry, toy, it's perfectly easy. And it's fun too - try giving it a go sometime, you might enjoy yourself.

Ever tried to intimidate someone in a business meeting whilst sat on a stool? In fact, no - don't even try. Piece of piss though with a high backed, jacked up black leather chair. You never saw Blofeld perched on a stool did you?

I could go on about the joys of pretending you're Captain Kirk sat at the helm of the Enterprise, or seeing how many times you can spin around on a chair before you feel sick or being able to get the seat back into recline position to have a quick snooze - but maybe you're starting to get the point?

Life's not just about 'all we need is....' - there's also an awful lot of 'what we like is...'
* User requested deletion 2 *
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:24 am

reid wrote:

Since when has life been about 'all you need'? The thrill you seem to get (demonstrated in this and the other recent chair thread) out of looking down on folks who aspire to something other than four sticks with a plank on top illustrates a pretty fundamental lack of understanding of human nature. Whilst it's possible to sit comfortably on a stool (and if you're a longstanding yoga / Alexander Technique practitioner, maybe even do it for longer than quarter of an hour without grumbling), have you ever tried to lean back on one? Quick, calm that pedant rising within yourself that's screaming 'You don't need to lean back if you have good posture!' and consider this -

People like to lean back in their chairs. Sure, just like picking our noses or scratching our balls, we don't need to do it, but we like to do it.

Ever tried whizzing across the floor on a stool? Mmmmm, tricky, isn't it, what with the lack of wheels and all; but with a chair - sorry, toy, it's perfectly easy. And it's fun too - try giving it a go sometime, you might enjoy yourself.

Ever tried to intimidate someone in a business meeting whilst sat on a stool? In fact, no - don't even try. Piece of piss though with a high backed, jacked up black leather chair. You never saw Blofeld perched on a stool did you?

I could go on about the joys of pretending you're Captain Kirk sat at the helm of the Enterprise, or seeing how many times you can spin around on a chair before you feel sick or being able to get the seat back into recline position to have a quick snooze - but maybe you're starting to get the point?

Life's not just about 'all we need is....' - there's also an awful lot of 'what we like is...'

Oh, go out and buy an iPad! :-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby * User requested deletion 2 * » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:06 pm

Exalted Wombat wrote:
reid wrote:

Oh, go out and buy an iPad! :-)

I can't - I knackered my back getting up from my Herman Miller, and can't walk.
Frequent Poster

Postby sthum » Sat May 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Thanks Kwackman!

I enquired about that, they state that they will only send the chair out with their own courier and that all of their product line is insured against damage with this company!
At those prices I can't blame them!

I suppose this clearly demonstrates just how commited they are to their product?

I think i've made up my mind, i'm going to go with the Aeron Chair!

Thanks for everyones input, it was very much appreciated!

Sthum....

sthum
Regular

Designer Chair??

Postby Didier Droghba » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:58 am

I must share this news. Went shopping at STAPLES and sighted a few new products in the office chair department. STAPLES now carries very exclusive looking designer furniture from CHARLES EAMES. The sales person did not even know. The cartons just say "Designer chair reproduction", but the Eames design is so famous, you can't miss it. They have three versions: A padded chair with high back (named QUINTO), a padded chair in lower back (named AMALF), and a very slick looking version with mesh fabric (named "something with "R", Rilo or so; sorry that I forgot). Compared with close to a thousand pounds these chairs used to sell for, STAPLES offers a bargain to anyone looking for a classic Charles CHARLES EAMES chair.
Didier Droghba

Re: Designer Chair??

Postby * User requested deletion 2 * » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:32 am

If it looks to good to be true.....

(PS - the Eames Lounger + Footstool maybe be a design classic, but have you ever tried sitting in one for more than 20 mins? Not very comfortable....)
Frequent Poster

Postby SecretSam » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:06 am

My dentist uses a chair by Salli (www.salli.com). You sit astride them as you would on a horse, but apparently for long hours of sitting while doing fiddly stuff they are triffik. A standard in medical circles, I believe. Cost a ton of money, though.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster

Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby narcoman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:16 am

If only for this one simple thing...

They dont fall apart after a year - which every other chair here has!!
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby Mash » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:54 pm

Mrs Mash has a load of Eames stuff in one of her studios, might look the part in the design/fashion environment but I find them surprisingly uncomfortable.

Mash
Mash
Regular