You are here

producer's brief - tips

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

producer's brief - tips

Postby Plockton Blue » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Hi,

I'm just about to put together a brief for my producer for a new song, and I wanted some tips on what kind of things I should mention.

Thanks

p.s. apologies if this is in the wrong forum, mods please move accordingly
Plockton Blue
Poster

Re: producer's brief - tips

Postby Mixedup » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:52 pm

What do you mean when you say 'producer'? i.e. what is their role, and how developed are your songs? is it 'just' a mix you're getting, or are they tracking, arranging etc as well? Broadly speaking I'd get some tracks together as references, and talk to your producer about what you like and what you don't.
Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:57 pm

Well, what do you WANT him to do? Are you arriving in the studio with a fully worked-out and rehearsed song - all he needs to do is supervise the recording engineer (or quite likely these days BE the recording engineer)? Or have you just got a vague idea for a song and need him to do a lot of the musical work for you?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Plockton Blue » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:21 pm

It's just an idea.

The execution of said idea, i'm leaving the majority of to the producer and studio.

Basically, I'm trying to ascertain the salient points for my producer without over egg-ing the pudding...

i.e what actually helps, and what's the common pitfalls.

Thanks
Plockton Blue
Poster

Postby Stan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:56 pm

Music producers!? puffed up middle aged x rock stars. with their fancy cars. lazy hippies.
Get out of bed u lazy hippy. That's one way to deal with them.

Another way might be to plead with them.
Stan
Regular

Postby hollowsun » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:33 am

Define 'Producer'!

As in someone who will mash up yo BeAtZ like innit...

Or someone who will take responsibility for your songs and their arrangements, will organise and hire the right session musos, liaise with the recording engineers to get the right results (as they think fit - in collusion with you) for your material, etc., and bring all this in on (or - preferably - under) budget?
hollowsun
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:25 am

Plockton Blue wrote:It's just an idea.

The execution of said idea, i'm leaving the majority of to the producer and studio.

Basically, I'm trying to ascertain the salient points for my producer without over egg-ing the pudding...

i.e what actually helps, and what's the common pitfalls.

Thanks

So you've got an idea for a song and want this guy to write it for you? Sit down with him and work it out.

I'm getting a horrible feeling this may be one of those "hire me for 4 hours" deals where a guy who owns some gear and knows a few tricks gives you a limited amount of time, sends you away with a CD and pockets your money. Why bother?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:44 am

Exalted Wombat wrote:So you've got an idea for a song and want this guy to write it for you? Sit down with him and work it out.

Surely that's a co-writer EW?

It certainly does sound like a weird arrangement when you're depending on someone else for creative input but don't know what to ask him

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby Mixedup » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:40 pm

suggest you have a read of this:

Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Postby narcoman » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:45 pm

...... and I'll have a smile at that one
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....