You are here

Is there any software to 'perform' preprogrammed midi?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Is there any software to 'perform' preprogrammed midi?

Postby JaymanLDN » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:01 am

A lot of the arrangements I'm making are complex, and I'm using just intonation scales.

The upshot is, that its a lot easier to program the notes in than play them.

What I was wondering was if there's a way of making a performance with these preprogrammed midi notes.

For example, if I programmed in a chord sequence, then played the rhythm of the chords on one key, and the software could apply the rhythm to the whole thing. Or similarly with melodies.
JaymanLDN
Poster

Re: Is there any software to 'perform' preprogrammed midi?

Postby zenguitar » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:01 pm

Hmm...

What you are describing might be something like using a step sequencer of some sort to write the chords, but instead of having it free running it is advanced through the steps by playing the MIDI note.

You might be able to achieve something using the logical editor in programs like Logic and Cubase.

But traditionally this is what Max/MSP from Cycling 74 does incredibly well. And for live work, Max for Ableton Live could be ideal, especially if you add one of the dedicated hardware controllers made to use with Live.

Definitely worth investigating.

Andy

:beamup:
zenguitar

OC/DC - All the right notes in exactly the right places.

Postby Madman_Greg » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:27 pm

Assuming you want software, then I think you are describing something like Band in a box

If you want hardware, then again I think you are describing something like the Roland Arranger keyboards
Madman_Greg
Frequent Poster
Madman_Greg

Postby Richard Graham » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:23 pm

JaymanLDN wrote:

What I was wondering was if there's a way of making a performance with these preprogrammed midi notes.

For example, if I programmed in a chord sequence, then played the rhythm of the chords on one key, and the software could apply the rhythm to the whole thing. Or similarly with melodies.

Sounds like you might want to check out groove templates and groove quantise.

I don't use em myself but I understand you can superimpose the groove of one midi recording (i.e. your rhythm on one key) onto another (i.e. your chords and tunes).

If you use the same template all the way through it'll still sound a bit less than human though.
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster

"If a nail is bent, stop hitting it."

Postby agent funk » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:51 pm

so you want to be able to play something "live" that you wrote but can't play.......that it should come to this :lol:

seriously though I'm sure I've seen keyboard players as far back as the 90's assigning chords and arpeggios to a single key so they can play something else etc - no fancy software, just basic midi knowledge of the instrument. Being a guitarist I'm slightly allergic to midi so I can't tell you how.
agent funk
Frequent Poster

Postby Andi » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:45 am

fletcher wrote:so you want to be able to play something "live" that you wrote but can't play.......that it should come to this :lol:

Heaven forbid that a composer would ever write a score and give it to someone else to play :shock:
Andi
Frequent Poster
Andi, www.thedustbowlaudio.com Mixing, Mastering, Audio Editing (and articles) at The Dustbowl Audio

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:43 pm

You may also be interested to visit the Ntonyx web site - they have a very interesting range of ‘auto-arranger’ and ‘style enhancer’ software. I reviewed an early version back in SOS January 2001:

www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan01/articles/ntonyx.asp

www.ntonyx.com

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby JaymanLDN » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:00 am

Thanks for the replies. The Ntonyx stuff looks worth a play.

I'm surprised noones made a way to perform something complex yourself, but I suppose most people don't work that way.

Keeping it simpler, do you know any windows/vst software that can trigger chords from a midi keyboard at all? Ideally define your own chords. :boring:
JaymanLDN
Poster