You are here

Freeware Mastering plugins

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Freeware Mastering plugins

Postby Gordon Pigeon » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi all

Was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of any freeware mastering plugins that can give the expensive stuff a go for its money?

Something that you know has a certain character perhaps? Anything that can compete with any of the vintage hardware emulations? Nice Eq's, dynamic processors etc.

Thanks
Gordon Pigeon
Poster

Re: Freeware Mastering plugins

Postby GaryM » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:32 pm

Here's twenty-five from KVR's plugin database:

[url=http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode=results&st=adv&soft[]=e&type[]=78&f[]=0&f[]=au&f[]=dx&f[]=ladspa&f[]=rtas&f[]=vst&linux=1&osx=1&win=1&free=1&sf=0&receptor=&de=0&sort=1&rpp=100]http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php?mode=results&st=adv&soft[]=e&type[]=78&f[]=0&f[]=au&f[]=dx&f[]=ladspa&f[]=rtas&f[]=vst&linux=1&osx=1&win=1&free=1&sf=0&receptor=&de=0&sort=1&rpp=100[/url]
GaryM
Regular

Postby forumuser815440 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:34 pm

Mac (intel or PPC) PC (XP, Vista or 7) or Linux? VST, AU, DX or RTAS?

One pointer: check out kjaerhus if you can still find it. They make some very nice freeware plug ins. I see that their website is offline though...Not sure why.
Also : what program are you running? Most progs have some decent EQ's and compressors on board.
forumuser815440
Regular

Postby forumuser815440 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:36 pm

gary beat me! But still I think that Protools, Sonar, Logic and the likes offer most of these better than on this list..
forumuser815440
Regular

Postby Mixedup » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:46 pm

Mastering? Hmmm... not really the best place for freeware, nor for home studios, but...

ddmf LP10 linear-phase EQ is worth a look. Not freeware but almost.

Jeroen Breebart's PC2 compressor is free, and worth a look. His Red Phatt Pro is cheap, but based on the same code and offers a lot more.

Bootsie's Ferric might be useful if things are sounding digital and sterile.

Antress do a lot of emulations for free. Not the best in the world but very usable if you're on a budget.

Nebula is useful.

PSP Vintage Meter is handy, as is SSL's inter-sample peak meter.

Flux do a nice Stereo widener/goniometer.

MDA do M-S coding/decoding, allowing you to add different EQ/compression to mid and sides.

There are plenty more freebies that you should steer clear of though!
Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Postby Gordon Pigeon » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:12 pm

J~P wrote:Mac (intel or PPC) PC (XP, Vista or 7) or Linux? VST, AU, DX or RTAS?

One pointer: check out kjaerhus if you can still find it. They make some very nice freeware plug ins. I see that their website is offline though...Not sure why.
Also : what program are you running? Most progs have some decent EQ's and compressors on board.

Yeah ive had and still use regually the kjaerhus audio plugins. Luckly i have them all saved, as it does seem they no longer exist for some reason?!
Gordon Pigeon
Poster