You are here

New song from Josie (aged 16) and session video filmed in our studio last Tuesday

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

New song from Josie (aged 16) and session video filmed in our studio last Tuesday

Postby TobyC » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:05 pm

'My Life Begins Now' video

'My Life Begins Now' video features Josie Charlwood, Dan Hardingham, the amazing Marius “the funk doctor” Frank and also, to a deliberately small extent, me! The atmosphere here was amazing so I hope we’ve been able to capture some of that energy for you. Viewing in 720/HD recommended for best audio.

Spot any gear you recognise?

Best wishes to all
Toby
TobyC
Regular

Have a look and listen to our music:
TobesMusic.com

Re: New song from Josie (aged 16) and session video filmed in our studio last Tuesday

Postby franciskimberley » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:12 pm

Wow. That's a pretty talented 16yo there! Agree with javadud54 on youtube about the song being a bit A-B-A-B-A-B but give her a couple of years and she'll be bothering the charts, I'm sure. The quality of the recording is excellent throughout.

Didn't recognise any gear tho!
franciskimberley
Regular

Re: New song from Josie (aged 16) and session video filmed in our studio last Tuesday

Postby Keefey boy » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:25 am

Its a nice song but please stop with the auto tune. I'm sure this young lady has a really good voice with out any help.
Keefey boy
Regular

Postby TobyC » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:16 pm

Hi Keefey Boy,

Thanks for this.

You're right, she can pitch perfectly so the only vocal effect we used was a bit of Sonar's doubler effect on the choruses to differentiate them. I was aiming at the Sara Bareilles/Love Song type of thing as harmonies were never going to work with such a bouncy melody. And I didn't want to get into oo's and aah's!

There was one line in verse 1 I think where I pointed out that she sounded a bit artificial and asked her if she wanted to re-record it to rough it up a bit but she said that if that was her sound, then so be it, which seemed convincing to me at the time.

All's fair in love and art....
Best
T.
TobyC
Regular

Have a look and listen to our music:
TobesMusic.com

Postby narcoman » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:08 pm

Take the reverb off the vocal. Dont mind the autotune artifacts..... stops it sounding too folky..... but mainly just the reverb.
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....