You are here

Recommend a Mixing desk/capture/control surface

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Recommend a Mixing desk/capture/control surface

Postby Sonicmint » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:02 pm

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a budget line hybrid (is that the right word?) mixing desk with the following capabilities - if such a thing exists... I get a bit confused with what does what!

Minimum 12 channel desk (ideally with slider faders and 3 band EQ knobs)

Can be used as a stand-alone analogue desk and a control surface for DAW (Adobe Audition on Windows 7)

USB connectivity for built-in capture to DAW

Your response would be much appreciated.
Many thanks.

- Scott
Sonicmint

Re: Recommend a Mixing desk/capture/control surface

Postby narcoman » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:41 pm

Cant recommend any budget options - there arent any really. If you have a bit of money the Audient Zen system looks excellent.
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby . . . Delete This User . . . » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:42 pm

allen and heath Zed series...

however, the "proper" version the Zed 16R and 24R are firewire not USB.

but jolly nice things they are...

i'd like to wangle myself a 24R.... for old times sake... it's kind of like a baby second cousin version of the old GS3000, that married in to a MOTU based family.... or something....

anyway.... in comparison to the Audient... it definitely qualifies as budget priced.... but the quality is really VERY good....
. . . Delete This User . . .
Frequent Poster

Postby Sonicmint » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:19 pm

I like the look of the Allen & Heath Zed-14. Am I right in thinking that this can be used as a control surface too, through USB to control mixing in Adobe Audition?
Sonicmint

Postby grab » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:28 am

I think they're Firewire, but the Presonus StudioLive would seem to be a good call. (Firewire may be on its way out in the wider world, but multitrack audio still uses it almost exclusively, for historical reasons. At £20-30 for an easily-installed Firewire card, there's no point limiting yourself to USB.)
grab
Frequent Poster

Postby Mixedup » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:06 am

If it works with your OS, then the Yamaha 01x may do the job for you. They're cheap as chops second hand right now, as the MLAN protocol seems to be on the way out. But if it works, it sounds like what you're looking for.

The ZED series A&H stuff doesn't have motorised faders. But what it does, it does very well.

A second hand Mackie d8B might do what you want. But they're notorious for breaking down...

Presonus Studio Live...

Audient ASP2802 looks perfect... but isn't actually budget.

But if you really need something like this on a budget, I'd be tempted just to get a small format desk (Mackie VLZ Pro or VLZ3 series) and sit a Behringer BCF2000 alongside it.
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Frank Eleveld » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:15 pm

Do you really need a mixing desk? I've ditched mine a few years ago, got myself an interface and a small control surface and never looked back. If you really need a proper mixing desk, the A&H Zed range is very nice indeed, I think. Definitely one of the best 'budget' mixer range currently being made.
Frank Eleveld