You are here

What virtual instrument for Soundtrack Music?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

What virtual instrument for Soundtrack Music?

Postby GLENN » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:28 am

Hello everyone I have a friend who is a very good composer.
He is using a Motif though which does not have amazing string sections for his music.
Can anyone recommend anything for soundtrack creation please?
GLENN
Regular

Re: What virtual instrument for Soundtrack Music?

Postby tomafd » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:56 am

All depends on the genre, but if we're talking about Zimmer-style big Hollywood soundtracks, the list is pretty long, and most of it is sample libraries as well as synths, most with a hefty price tag. Check out

Vienna Symphonic Library
LA Scoring strings.
East West - all kinds of packages from Hollywood Strings to RA (world instruments)to Stormdrum (big fat drums) and their Choir.
ProjectSam - Symphobia (more strings) True Strike (big orchestral percussion)Orchestral Brass

Just for starters. The full versions of the above will set you back about £12k +, for all of them, and that's before you've paid for a system which will run them without falling over- LASS recommend you run two computers just to run their software alone.

These are the top packages around at the moment for near-as-dammit orchestral mock-ups production (tho these days a lot of directors seem pretty happy to use the mock ups and not have to pay for real orchestras) and their price tags are pretty serious- and there's no guarantee that having all that firepower will improve your writing skills or chances of getting any work.

Otherwise - there are loads of synths and virtual synths out there offering every possible synthetic palette you can think of - and in the end, a lot of us generally have a range of them available so we can cover most of what we're asked to do, along with various drum packages which offer everything from 'acoustic' kits to more extreme electro styles.

There's no way anyone can really recommend the perfect set up for you, since only you will know what you need. Much googling, review reading, and hopefully listening to examples of the software being put through it's paces, is what you will need to do.

As well, of course, as finding the money to pay for it all. As usual, that's the really tough bit....
tomafd
Frequent Poster

Postby GLENN » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:16 am

Excellent reply thanks.
GLENN
Regular

Postby Darclinc » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:41 am

I would also recommend looking into NI Kontakt 4. It's a great sounding, very comprehensive library that covers various musical areas that the symphonic instruments packages don't cater for :

Kontakt 4

Also, as this has been covered before in a previous thread, NI Komplete 7, the Komplete list of NI instruments, is just a little bit more expensive than buying Kontakt 4 on its own, which should give you all the tools you'd ever need for a variety of different types of soundtracks.

Cheers,

D.
Darclinc
Regular

Postby gryfyx » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:32 pm

VIENNA SYMPHONIC LIBRARY + EAST WEST + any film =

......Image
gryfyx
Regular

Postby narcoman » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:41 pm

...not any of the ones I've done. ;)
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby * User requested deletion 2 * » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:00 pm

AuralSerenity wrote:VIENNA SYMPHONIC LIBRARY + EAST WEST + any film =

......Image

...equals a blocked toilet that needs plunging? I don't get it.
* User requested deletion 2 *
Frequent Poster

Postby gryfyx » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:14 pm

reid wrote:

......Image

Ahahahahaha!

Lol! Amazing observation. Your sense of humor is like Zukan's. Hahaha.... That was the best thing I'll read today. :lol:
gryfyx
Regular

Postby tomafd » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:39 pm

AuralSerenity wrote:
reid wrote:

......Image

Ahahahahaha!

Lol! Amazing observation. Your sense of humor is like Zukan's. Hahaha.... That was the best thing I'll read today. :lol:

Many would agree that there isn't much difference between a blocked toilet and say, the http://www.emmys.com/
tomafd
Frequent Poster