You are here

Buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s in London?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s in London?

Postby Džoni » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi all,

I hope this doesn't break any forum rules, but I doubt it does.

A friend of mine is going over to UK (London, to be precise) on Saturday, and he's willing to pick up a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s for me. However, I want to inconvenience him as little as possible, so my question is the following:

Which retailer (and I mean physical, real, non-internet, offline store, just for a bit of redundancy) that sells HD 650s is the most common in London, i.e. the most likely for him to find without having to go specifically out of his way? How much would he (or I, down the line) expect to pay for them at said retailer? (If I can find the latter info online, I'll have a look).

Any advice is welcome!

Thanks,
Dzoni
Džoni
Regular

Re: Buying a pair of Sennheiser HD 650s in London?

Postby RegressiveRock » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:43 pm

To what parts of London will your friend be going?
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster

Postby Džoni » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:58 pm

Mostly central London, as far as I understand it. I think he mentioned "Tower Hill". (Never having been to London myself, I can only rely on Wikipedia to make sure those two claims match up.)
Džoni
Regular

Postby John Willett » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:26 pm

I would say, probably, Digital Village.

Their main office is in Romford (East London), but Barnet (North London), Clapham (South London) and Acton (West London) are easy to get to.

The Acton store is very close to Acton Town Underground and the Clapham one is very close to Clapham Common Underground.

I would ring first to make sure it's in stock - or give them time to get one over to the store you are going to.

The contact details and maps are in the "Digital Village" panel on the right of the link I posted.
John Willett
Jedi Poster

John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby ezza » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:42 pm

Traveling from Tower Hill to Acton Town and back is one hour each way. You can use tfl.gov.uk to check journey times.

There aren't any good audio or music tech shops in the Tower Hill area itself.

I would search online for a shop stocking them in the 'West End'. That's much closer to Tower Hill. Search for shops in and around Tottenham COurt Road, Oxford Street & Charing Cross Road.

Don't forget to tell your friend to haggle!

/e
ezza
Regular

Postby John Willett » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:22 pm

ezza wrote:Traveling from Tower Hill to Acton Town and back is one hour each way.

But it's only 37 minutes from Tower Hill to Clapham Common - much faster.

And if Bank station is closer, Clapham Common is only 17 minutes from there.

And DV do tend to have the best prices.

Oh - and don't forget to ask for the certificate to reclaim the VAT. You pay it at the shop, but can claim it back at the airport on the way out.
John Willett
Jedi Poster

John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Postby creativegeek » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:39 pm

Don't. I just bought a pair from Thomann for €245, much cheaper than anywhere I found in London. Btw, they are fantastic! :)
creativegeek
New here

Postby Džoni » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:43 pm

Thanks for all the responses, guys!

Now, to throw a bit of a spanner in the works, I spoke to said friend in more detail, and as he is in Europe for a business trip, most of which is at meetings during working hours and in different places, it's going to be a bit of a mad rush. Is there a shop that might be open on Sundays? DV is closed then.

I won't say price isn't an issue, but given that the HD 650s cost between £500 and £630 over here, just about any price the UK has to offer is better! What I'm getting is that a shop that is more expensive than DV, but open on a Sunday, would work for me too.

Alternatively -- and this is far more of a push than asking for shops in London -- does anyone know of similar shops in Amsterdam?
Džoni
Regular

Postby Nelly » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:31 am

I think you'll struggle to find a music tech shop in London open on Sunday. I'm pretty sure none of the shops around Denmark Street are open on Sunday.

One of the shops on Tottenham Court Road might do them, but I've just looked at Ask and Microanvika and neither of those seem to stock them. Also can't see any other hifi shops that carry them, Richer Sounds, Sevenoaks.

I think DV is your best bet if they have stock. But not on Sunday...
Nelly
Regular

Postby ezza » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:25 am

Is that Amsterdam on a Sunday?

However, I have to agree with some posters above that Thomann, ebay or other mail order is the best way.

/e
ezza
Regular

Postby John Willett » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:45 pm

Džoni wrote:Thanks for all the responses, guys!

Now, to throw a bit of a spanner in the works, I spoke to said friend in more detail, and as he is in Europe for a business trip, most of which is at meetings during working hours and in different places, it's going to be a bit of a mad rush. Is there a shop that might be open on Sundays? DV is closed then.

I can't think of anything really that's open on a Sunday except places like Dixons, Currys and PC World in out-of-town shopping malls - and they are very unlikely to stock the HD 650.

Some alternatives - order on-line from DV and get them delivered in advance to a hotel or a company where there will be a business meeting.

Sometimes, if he knows the people well enough, get them delivered to a personal contact at the company where the meeting is. Though this may be difficult if he does not know people personally there.

Or, ring up DV and get them to deliver in a taxi.

Etc...
John Willett
Jedi Poster

John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Postby Džoni » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:15 pm

ezza wrote:Is that Amsterdam on a Sunday?

Nope, I think it's Tuesday/Wednesday. Definitely weekday, either way.

John, that's a brilliant suggestion, but I fear it's a little too last-minute. I wish I'd known about all of this a bit sooner so I could have put that in place.

I think I may just have to do the online order thing -- Thomann's price is very, very good, I must say. Alternatively, I know the manager of a music store here quite well (I've been a customer for almost 9 years now); I spoke to him today, and he'll speak to his supplier on Monday, but I may just be able to get it for £310-360, which I'm happy to pay. The exchange rate's working in my favour at the moment.

Either way, thanks very much for your input, everyone. I really appreciate it -- I do love these fora/forums!
Džoni
Regular

Postby ezza » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:00 pm

Hobo HiFi in Amsterdam does them, but at 429 euros your friend might be a better bet.

hobo hifi
ezza
Regular