You are here

Universities

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Universities

Postby SoundNinja » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:47 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at going to a University to study Audio and Technology further. Without meaning to sound unprofessional, does anyone have any experience of going to Uni as I'm trying to decide between Leeds Met. and the University of West England (UWE (Bristol)) atm, and if anyone has any knowledge or experience of these places i'd love to hear :)

Thank you
SoundNinja

Re: Universities

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:34 pm

Have a careful read through this thread:

Thread re: value of university courses

... and then come back if you still have any questions.

PS. Welcome! :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby narcoman » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:26 pm

Read that thread VERY carefully.
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby ej_whyte » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:52 pm

Although I respect the opinions of the two posts above, I do feel that my uni course has been worthwhile, and it has provided me with two great opportunities which wouldn't of been available if I hadn't done it:

1. Free, unlimited access to pro level equipment, (almost) whenever and for as a long as I want. There is no way I would have been able to afford all the gear we have and (I'm guessing here) I get to do a lot more than I would if I just had a tea-boy job in a commercial studio.

2. My uni has very good links for its placement years, giving me a better chance of getting my foot in the door (I hope). Students have been to EMI, Pinewood and Audient to name a few, and most of them have secured jobs there afterwards.

Whilst the actual 'degree' may not be worth it, I think the experience and opportunities that come with it are.
ej_whyte
Poster

Postby narcoman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:10 pm

which course is this? EMI don't take graduates on in studios - they only own one now.
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby ej_whyte » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:03 pm

narcoman wrote:which course is this? EMI don't take graduates on in studios - they only own one now.

Birmingham Conservatoire/Millenium Point.

I didn't mean studio work though, more as part of the actual label work I think that one is.
ej_whyte
Poster

Postby Mixedup » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:25 am

Hmmm... unfortunately you've been royally shafted by David Cameron and George Osborne :madas:

You'll get plenty out of a course, but £6-9k per annum could most definitely be spent better. If you do go for it, make sure you get sufficient access to the facilities and use them all hours you can.

In fact, come to think of it... pay me £6k a year and I'll give you one to one tuition, real work experience and access to all the facilities you could ask for! OK, it sounds crazy, and I'm joking, but you'd learn more...
Mixedup
Jedi Poster