You are here

Monitor Speaker Cables Question

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Monitor Speaker Cables Question

Postby Pinestreet » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:36 pm

Hi,

So, I've moved to a bigger room and my Genelec speakers cables are not long enough now to reach my presonus firebox left and right speaker outputs. So I take my cables to the local music shop to get some new longer ones, XLR on one end for speaker and 1/4 jack at the other end into the firebox. The guy looks at the cables and says "You sure you want them for speakers? This is a stereo jack, you should have mono jack cables". Looking like a friggin idiot I say "I'll take stereo since that's what seems to be working". So, my question is ... who's the idiot? Does it make any difference to use stereo or mono jacks into my firewire left and right outputs?? I'm happy to be the idiot...

Thanks in advance
Pinestreet
Regular

Re: Monitor Speaker Cables Question

Postby GaryM » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:46 pm

My set-up uses XLR to TRS cables for the monitors. In this case (and yours too I believe) the three conductors in the cable aren't being used to provide a stereo signal (Ground-Left-Right) but a balanced mono signal (Ground-Hot-Cold) - which is exactly what you want.
GaryM
Regular

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:23 pm

You could've just bought mic cables and used them to extend the ones you have...
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

madtheory creations

Soundware Shop

Postby forumuser695516 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:36 pm

Unless I read your post wrong.. The cables are not stereo, they are balanced.

It's not essential to go balanced, but can help keep noise down in some circumstances.

Paul
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster

Postby Pinestreet » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:55 pm

thanks for the clarification guys. All makes sense now...!!
Pinestreet
Regular

Postby Elteto » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:23 am

Welcome to the new era of music. Anyone can produce music these days on a phone, people are willing to accept lossy compression, loudness wars ensue, listeners accept the quality of earbuds, an artist is successful if she dresses in bloody raw meat, and apparently, anyone can work at a music store, dispensing "expert" advice. We are so doomed!
Elteto
Regular

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:40 pm

Music stores were dispensing advice of this calibre when I was a young 'un, I don't think anything has changed in that regard!
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

madtheory creations

Soundware Shop

Postby Bossman » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:32 pm

if it was a hifi shop, then I would not be surprised by the salesman's response and lack of knowledge.. They don't normally deal with balanced cables.

if it was a pro audio/music tech shop then that is another matter, and the salesman needs educating.

In either case, the salesman is the idiot here.
Bossman
Frequent Poster