You are here

Running an entire mix through my Gold Mike?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Running an entire mix through my Gold Mike?

Postby siderealxxx » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:41 am

Hi... I have finished mixes which have also been mastered nicely (albeit in the box) and I was wandering about adding some analogue sparkle/warmth/cliches.

The only decent unit I have for this is an SPL Gold Mike MKI, so I've tried outputting directly from my FF800 into the SPL and re-recording it. The result is in fact very nice and audibly different in a good way (mostly brighter).

Question is... can anyone think of a good reason why I shouldn't do this?! Are there any pitfalls I should watch for? Obviously it's not what the unit was designed for, but if it sounds good then who's to complain?

Curious...
siderealxxx
Regular
Excess makes the heart grow fonder

Re: Running an entire mix through my Gold Mike?

Postby ElecTrika-MixTek » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:45 am

One thing:

If it's been mastered on an appropriate system then is your mastering process on the same system or a different one.

Is your system then, an appropriate system for mastering with sufficient detail especially in the bass and sub bass range, but also sufficient clarity in the mid range.

Does your gold miked master sound good across a range of systems? Car, hifi, club, bar etc.
ElecTrika-MixTek
Regular

Postby Jonnypopisical » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:11 am

As the other poster said.

Has is been mastered by a professional ME or is it DIY?.

If done by a pro then I'd be careful of thinking that 'Brigher is better' as it should have been EQ'd to work across multiply systems and not be too bright to start to sound thin.

If it's a DIY job then do whatever you think sounds best - but again bright mixes can initially sound good but don't stand the test of time very well (you will be so bored of the track that the xtra top cons you into been excited by the track again). In saying that alot of home recordings lack mid range bit that pro mixes try and boost to get things to sound powerful / loud (I'm talking mainstream music here)

JP
Jonnypopisical
Frequent Poster

Mac Pro, Logic Pro, lots of software and 17 hard drives!

Postby narcoman » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:59 am

Talk to your ME, find a different ME or - if the issue is the mixes - tweak. But dont mess with the masters.
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....