You are here

If I don't upgrade to 6 now will I be able to upgrade to 7?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

If I don't upgrade to 6 now will I be able to upgrade to 7?

Postby Handlestash » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:16 pm

I've been getting emails from Steinberg saying I can upgrade to 6 but I've had a look at it and there's really nothing new that warrants the money, that I could use anyway.
So if I don't upgrade now will I be able to upgrade for the same price when they bring out a new version that I do want?
Handlestash
Frequent Poster

Re: If I don't upgrade to 6 now will I be able to upgrade to 7?

Postby Adie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:41 pm

You don't mention what version your using.

I've upgraded from Studio 4 to 6,
Upgrading has meant quite a learning curve for me, but i'm loving the new format of C6. However, I don't like the fact that i've lost certain quick access functions like copy and paste on the ol right click!

Maybe something to bear in mind is being able to import older files into newer versions of Cubase as C6 now re-formats my Studio 4 files. Whether this will become an issue with C7, i don't know.

Regards
Adie
Poster

Postby Handlestash » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:45 pm

Sorry, you're right, I'm on 5. But if you went from 4 to 6 I guess there's a good chance I'll be able to do the same.
They got rid of the right click menu?! Madness.
Handlestash
Frequent Poster

Postby chris... » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:56 pm

AIUI the upgrade to 6 is straightforward from 4, but not for earlier versions.

So IF they continue that pattern, then 5 to 7 should hopefully be possible...
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainChoptastic » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:02 pm

Although there are probably no guarantees, Steinberg's general principle seems to be to allow upgrades from up to two major versions previous. So, I'd expect you (and me) to still be able to upgrade to Cubase 7 when it comes along... Unless their marketing/accounts guys have a better idea between now and then!

I disagree with what you're saying about lack of interesting new features though. True, there's no whizz-bang innovative industry first going on (OK, Note Expression, but I'm not massively into MIDI stuff...), but there are a lot of improvements to the underlying tech and workflow: Comping Lanes, much better beat/tempo detection, vastly improved time/pitch stretch tech... For a bit over the ton, I'm pretty tempted.

Of course, I appreciate that your mileage may vary.

But no right-click? How bizarre!
CaptainChoptastic
Regular

Postby oggyb » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:12 pm

Even though I know I probably don't need all the new fangles in C6, I'm going to anyway at some point (was going to on launch day but the money got. . . requisitioned) so I don't have to faff around with upgrading to C7 when it comes along. And the extra cost of not using an upgrade-friendly version.

Don't be so worried about upgrading 5 to 6. But 7 will definitely be worthwhile when it comes around.
oggyb
Frequent Poster

Postby Wiseau » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:55 pm

If it aint broke...etc. I was using the first edition of cubase until 3 weeks ago. Unless you really need it, save your money.
Wiseau
Regular

Postby jaminem » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Handlestash wrote:

thats a difference between studio and the full version. nothing to do with the version number. You get a pallet of tools (dumb) in the full version, and a sensible,useful context menu in studio or whatever its called now...

I don't know why...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:18 pm

Handlestash wrote:They got rid of the right click menu?! Madness.
No they didn't, but you do have to now choose it from the Preferences panel. It should be set as standard IMO.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby CaptainChoptastic » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:28 am

The Elf wrote:
No they didn't, but you do have to now choose it from the Preferences panel. It should be set as standard IMO.

Ah, that makes more sense - well, that it's still there somewhere, not that they chose to hide it by default...
CaptainChoptastic
Regular

Postby Richie Royale » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:07 am

I upgraded using the uprgade path from SX3 to 5 last year, so I don't think you'll have any problem.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Adie » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:29 pm

jaminem wrote:
Handlestash wrote:

thats a difference between studio and the full version. nothing to do with the version number. You get a pallet of tools (dumb) in the full version, and a sensible,useful context menu in studio or whatever its called now...

Seems if i want to quickly access eg "SELECT FROM CURSOR TO END" in the score editor i now have to assign a key command, whereas i used to be able to just right click to get these options in Studio 4.

Personally, I don't like this way of doing things. I just don't see how this can inmprove anyones workflow. Far too many key commands to remember when in the midst of a mix. I can only hope Steinberg give us back these function in C7.
Adie
Poster

Postby onesecondglance » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:57 pm

what on earth are you all talking about? you've been able to choose between the tool selection and a context menu on right click since C4.
onesecondglance
Frequent Poster

Postby Adie » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:33 pm

onesecondglance wrote:what on earth are you all talking about? you've been able to choose between the tool selection and a context menu on right click since C4.

We all must be writing in a different language as it was explained clearly.
To repeat: Studio versions of Cubase have additional edit functions in the context menu that the full versions don't have.
Adie
Poster

Postby steve355 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:21 pm

The reason I won't (apart from the fact I am perfectly happy with C5) is the lack of guaranteed XP support. Upgrading for me is a big deal and will involve upgrading everything to 64 bit and paying money to Microsoft. It will be a while before I have the down time to do that, for no discernible benefit.
steve355
Frequent Poster

Postby Adie » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:54 pm

I don't blame you really. It's been no mean feat moving up to 64bit via my (now fairly new) computer/Windows 7 and upgrading Cubase and my plug-ins to 64 bit. As yet some of my plug-ins still only function thanks to Jbridge.

It's not a task for the faint hearted as you wait with bated breath to see if your software licenses still work!

Suffice to say nothing runs smoothly!

Regards
Adie
Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:55 am

Adie wrote:I don't blame you really. It's been no mean feat moving up to 64bit via my (now fairly new) computer/Windows 7 and upgrading Cubase and my plug-ins to 64 bit. As yet some of my plug-ins still only function thanks to Jbridge.

It's not a task for the faint hearted as you wait with bated breath to see if your software licenses still work!

Suffice to say nothing runs smoothly!
I'm running 32-bit Cubase on Win7 64-bit and everything worked straight out of the box - smooth as silk. Unless you absolutely know you need Cubase 64-bit I see little point taking the pain at this stage.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby steve355 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:01 am

Hmmmm

I am running C5 on XP.... but what I would want is to run C6 on XP......

But if I run 32 bit C5 on W7, would I get the larger process memory footprint? I could do with that from time to time.

Then possibly I could upgrade across time, in stages.... W7, Cubase 6, 64 bit.
steve355
Frequent Poster

Postby onesecondglance » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:24 am

Adie wrote:Studio versions of Cubase have additional edit functions in the context menu that the full versions don't have.

i don't want to get pedantic, but that's not what you said. you said:

Adie wrote:You get a pallet of tools (dumb) in the full version, and a sensible,useful context menu in studio or whatever its called now...

not the same thing.
onesecondglance
Frequent Poster

Postby Adie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:42 pm

I didn't write that, i was quoting Janimem. Refer back to my first post!

And he's right, we're basically saying the same thing; The context menu in the studio version is not the same as the context menu in the full version of C6.

Clicking the context menu in the full version merely brings up the tool bar as displayed on the main screen. The Studio version provides edit functions like select, cut, copy, paste as found in the drop down menu in both studio and full versions. My simple point was that i thought the studio version was better in this respect.

But this is digressing from what the original question was about.
Adie
Poster

Postby onesecondglance » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:56 pm

you're right, that was jaminem's post - the quote boxes got all mixed up. you are also right that this has little to do with the original question!
onesecondglance
Frequent Poster

Postby Adie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:00 pm

Steve

This may be of some help with regards to your query about running C6 on xp

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2032

In regard to your second query; as W7 uses more memory (the curse of Aero etc!) than xp to boot up and maintain it's os/software then yes your system would be using more memory.
Not sure that's a good thing if you want to have available memory for cubase and all your sample based software, bearing in mind you have a max of 4gbs to play with on a 32bit system.

Regards
Adie
Poster

Postby Mixedup » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:10 am

Adie wrote:
Steve

This may be of some help with regards to your query about running C6 on xp

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2032

In regard to your second query; as W7 uses more memory (the curse of Aero etc!) than xp to boot up and maintain it's os/software then yes your system would be using more memory.
Not sure that's a good thing if you want to have available memory for cubase and all your sample based software, bearing in mind you have a max of 4gbs to play with on a 32bit system.

Regards

Is that what he meant? I took it to mean would he have access to the larger amount of memory in Win 7 64 if he only installed Cubase 32... to which the answer is "yes, kinda...". Using the Jbridge plugin you can use 64-bit plug-ins in Cubase 32-bit if you're running Win 7 64-bit. So you could have Kontakt and BFD each accessing their own memory space and leaving more free for 32 bit plug-ins within Cubase's own limit. You can also use multiple applications together each in their own 'memory space' (eg Reason alongside Cubase).

FWIW, I recently (<1 year) migrated from XP Pro 32 to Win 7 64. I've stuck with Cubase 32 (5 and then upgraded to 6). Largely pain free. Some older versions of plug-ins (Waves 5) didn't work. Firewire drivers needed rolling back to use the Liquid Mix. Had to remember to tick the box to run all my audio applications and plug-in installers as an administrator. Everything else has worked fine. (RME FF800, UAD1 and 2 cards, TC Powercore cards etc).
Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Postby Jez Corbett » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:35 pm

Adie wrote:
I didn't write that, i was quoting Janimem. Refer back to my first post!

And he's right, we're basically saying the same thing; The context menu in the studio version is not the same as the context menu in the full version of C6.

Clicking the context menu in the full version merely brings up the tool bar as displayed on the main screen. The Studio version provides edit functions like select, cut, copy, paste as found in the drop down menu in both studio and full versions. My simple point was that i thought the studio version was better in this respect.

That is completely wrong.

See the below image. That's a screenshot I just took of Cubase 6 when you right click. By default it goes to a plain toolbox, but there's an option under settings to change it.

Please don't spread false information.

Jez Corbett
Regular

Postby Beathead » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:29 pm

Hi Adie

Funny you mention that about the context menu, i was having the same problem having upgraded to cubase 6. I couldn't understand why Steinberg had defaulted to the toolbar either. It took me awhile to figure out, but to change it in cubase you need to go:

FILE/PREFERENCES/TOOLS

You just then de-click "Popup Toolbox on Right Click"

That then brings up the context menu as you saw it in studio 4.

Also if you press ctrl + right click, that brings up the tool bar. Does the opposite if you leave the tool bar as is.

Hope that helps

By the way, i don't agree with the previous post saying you are wrong, you are both correct in what you said.
Beathead

Postby Adie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:32 pm

Thanks for the info Beathead. Job done!
The sort of useful tip for the Steinberg site.

I see you just joined so welcome to the forum.

Regards
Adie
Poster