You are here

Squarepusher

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Squarepusher

Postby feline1 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:20 am

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the Squarepusher interview in this month's SoS.

Very interesting guy, very insightful, self-critical and very bullsh1t free (cf. last month with some eejit blabbering on about how much better Nuendo sounds than Cubase 5 or sthg)

Also it really made me want to go and check out some more of his music... my previous squarepusher experience is limited to a Warp package tour at the Brighton Dome where they did George Antheil's Ballet Méchanique and some orchestred AFX, and then Squarepusher came on doing a bass odyssey with added electroslabs that had be genuinely terrified the ceiling was going to collapse at one point
feline1
Frequent Poster

~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Re: Squarepusher

Postby Sam Inglis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:21 am

Thanks -- I know Paul Tingen put a lot of work into that so he'll be very pleased to know it was appreciated.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster

Postby feline1 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:40 am

yeah it was well-written and put together...

I loved the way Squarepusher kept theorising about his own working methods then deliberately trying to subvert himself by doing the oppositve of what he thought his own values were

Kinda reminded me of Eno relating about when he'd work with John Cale, pretty much cos Cale would totally pull the rug from under all Eno's strategies.... but Eno needed a 2nd person to do that - Squarepusher seems to do it to *himself*! lol

(Also, as a Blakes 7 fan, it fondly reminded me of...
CALLY: How do you work that out?
AVON: Intuition
CALLY: I thought you didn't believe in intuition?
AVON: I don't... so I am probably wrong)

AVON FTW!
feline1
Frequent Poster

~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Postby Phil Reynolds » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:40 am

Hmmm...some of us aren't favoured enough to have seen the new issue yet...

Phil Reynolds
Regular
"We knocked on the doors of Hell's darker chambers..." But no-one answered, so we went to the pub instead.

Postby Leon Tricker » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:17 pm

Looking forward to reading the article. Think Tom Jenkinson is a great bloke, but have to say since I've not really enjoyed an album of his since 'Hello Everything.' He's taken the bass guitar a bit TOO far for me personally.
Leon Tricker
Poster