You are here

Squarepusher

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Squarepusher

Postby feline1 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:20 am

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the Squarepusher interview in this month's SoS.

Very interesting guy, very insightful, self-critical and very bullsh1t free (cf. last month with some eejit blabbering on about how much better Nuendo sounds than Cubase 5 or sthg)

Also it really made me want to go and check out some more of his music... my previous squarepusher experience is limited to a Warp package tour at the Brighton Dome where they did George Antheil's Ballet Méchanique and some orchestred AFX, and then Squarepusher came on doing a bass odyssey with added electroslabs that had be genuinely terrified the ceiling was going to collapse at one point :)
feline1
Frequent Poster

~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Re: Squarepusher

Postby Sam Inglis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:21 am

Thanks -- I know Paul Tingen put a lot of work into that so he'll be very pleased to know it was appreciated.
Sam Inglis
Frequent Poster

Postby feline1 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:40 am

yeah it was well-written and put together...

I loved the way Squarepusher kept theorising about his own working methods then deliberately trying to subvert himself by doing the oppositve of what he thought his own values were :headbang:

Kinda reminded me of Eno relating about when he'd work with John Cale, pretty much cos Cale would totally pull the rug from under all Eno's strategies.... but Eno needed a 2nd person to do that - Squarepusher seems to do it to *himself*! lol

(Also, as a Blakes 7 fan, it fondly reminded me of...
CALLY: How do you work that out?
AVON: Intuition
CALLY: I thought you didn't believe in intuition?
AVON: I don't... so I am probably wrong)

AVON FTW! :D
feline1
Frequent Poster

~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Postby Phil Reynolds » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:40 am

Hmmm...some of us aren't favoured enough to have seen the new issue yet...

:protest:

:frown:
Phil Reynolds
Regular
"We knocked on the doors of Hell's darker chambers..." But no-one answered, so we went to the pub instead.

Postby Leon Tricker » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:17 pm

Looking forward to reading the article. Think Tom Jenkinson is a great bloke, but have to say since I've not really enjoyed an album of his since 'Hello Everything.' He's taken the bass guitar a bit TOO far for me personally.
Leon Tricker
Poster