You are here

Music Recording Myths

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Music Recording Myths

Postby scw » Mon May 16, 2011 1:42 pm

I came across this video and thought I'd post the link to create a bit of discussion/thought. You may have already seen this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYTlN6wjcvQ

Ethan Winer has written a few articles for SOS in the past.

Stewart
scw
Regular

Re: Music Recording Myths

Postby planetnine » Mon May 16, 2011 2:35 pm

...he has *some* views that *some* people here don't *entirely* agree with...

>
planetnine
Regular

Planet Nine, Lincoln, UK.

Postby crofter » Mon May 16, 2011 3:08 pm

I fell asleep, has it finished yet ?
crofter
Regular

Postby narcoman » Mon May 16, 2011 3:34 pm

One third really good info
One third subjective
and one third utter boolarks.

Ethan makes very good acoustic traps - they work very well - and he does know his onions in that realm. What he has useful to say on sampling and music recording in general is about as useful as a praline comb.

Ethan uses his righteous knowledge that stupid audio rock are junk products to justify that some converters are not producing better results. I find Ethan, despite being a very nice chap, uses obvious piles of bollox to justify some of his more disagreeable arguments. The whole video is geared around giving the panel an air of credibility.... and you know what? In some of what they say - absolutely right. The danger (well - relative term I guess) of this video is, by proxy, it lends credibility to some of the nonsense spouted in other articles. I am surprised AES even allowed this discussion to happen - only fools fall for "audio rocks" or "CD demagnetisers"....

I applaud Ethan's push to embrace scientific proof - I only wish he would employ such science to justify some of his more dubious claims. Witness his section about dither.

Or the bit about plugins and "sweet spots". Softtube and UAD absolutely HAVE put sweet spot and response curves into their plugins. He also forgets that many of use use outboard in our work - gain staging is CRUCIAL in that element.

Or the awesome bit about his 4033 being EQ'ed the same as his TLM with a brilliantly edited round of applause....

He's not busting myths - he's telling us the obvious and hiding a few un-truths in there. A deceptive video.
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby . . . Delete This User . . . » Mon May 16, 2011 7:02 pm

way to tell it like it is Narco....

you ripped the words right out of my keyboard....
. . . Delete This User . . .
Frequent Poster

Postby scw » Mon May 16, 2011 9:07 pm

narcoman wrote:only fools fall for "audio rocks" or "CD demagnetisers"....

I would agree with your post. Sadly there are many fools out there. However as they say about fools and their money...
scw
Regular

Postby uphillbothways » Tue May 17, 2011 1:02 am

Narcoman - what specifically is Winer saying that isn't true?
uphillbothways
Regular

Postby narcoman » Tue May 17, 2011 1:24 am

The effects of dither and what it's actually for, what happens in a decimator, what happens when you sample waveforms and what the effects of brickwall filters and why it's accepted that ideally they should be moved further from the hearable range...... basically flies in the face of much of what Lavry's excellent (proof laden) paper stands for.

That and he has proposed that a cheap soundcard keeps up with world class converters (he does all of his "tests" on base level equipment incapable of rendering or capturing a waveform accurately) based on (correct) reproduction of sine waves.

His arguments generally take the form "I can't hear it" or "I haven't measured it" with the salient points being - not knowing what to listen for or making tests that fit the problem rather than applying an unbiased system. He doesn't do it nastily though - he believes what he says but is not rigorous in his science. I don't disagree with everything he says though....

But

he does make excellent traps and THAT stuff he knows. And he's actually a pretty nice chap.
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby Tui » Tue May 17, 2011 4:36 am

Puh, science is for wimps. I only believe in facts I made up myself.

Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Tue May 17, 2011 7:35 am

We're all listening to mp3's these days, usually in cars or untreated living rooms. So Horlicks it all is.

Got the house earthed by the way Tui, and bought a Thai built powered mixer whose fan sounds like a jet plane.

Lovely here isn't it?
Howdy Doody Time
Regular

The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby narcoman » Tue May 17, 2011 9:22 am

Tui wrote:Puh, science is for wimps. I only believe in facts I made up myself.

sorry, yes I should have said. Science and only things that Tui says.
narcoman
Frequent Poster

Postby Tui » Tue May 17, 2011 11:39 am

It's Howdy Doody Time wrote:

Lovely here isn't it?

Isn't it just. Still, it's got a slight edge over Croydon rail station.
Tui
Frequent Poster

Postby dubbmann » Wed May 18, 2011 4:47 am

can't add anything to the discussion of the video as i've no plans to watch it based on what i've read so far here but that said i have to say that ethan and another chap on the acoustics forum got into the most all-out slanging match i've ever read on an sos forum over arcana of room acoustics and modes. truly entertaining on a 'monty python' meets heath robinson level of things. glad ethan is (apparently) in good health ;-)

cheers,

d
dubbmann
Frequent Poster

Postby Ed_J90 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:39 pm

Ed_J90
Regular