You are here

Equipment advice

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Equipment advice

Postby Jowie » Mon May 23, 2011 2:03 pm

Hi all,

New to this forum so apologies if this is the wrong place to post this...

I'm helping to start up a small internet radio station for a local charity, and I'm putting together a list of hardware we will need (CD players, mixer etc). I've sorted most of it, but I need something to play jingles with that doesn't involve a computer... There will be a computer for the internet streaming, but I don't want the setup to be uber-complicated involving software audio patching all over the place. So I'm trying to find a little hardware box that I can load samples into (it doesn't have to be able to sample, only maybe load samples in via USB or similar) and then have a load of buttons/pads to trigger the samples.

So I'm kind of looking for a mini drum machine with pads, but it needs to trigger custom sounds and it doesn't need any effects at all. I considered getting an Akai Synthstation and iPod touch, but that altogether is over £250. Does anyone know of any cheaper alternatives? I'd be very grateful for any advice!

Thanks!

:-Joe
Jowie

Re: Equipment advice

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon May 23, 2011 4:01 pm

Welcome!

I know you don't want to use a computer, but these days I think that's your easiest solution. Doesn't need to be a complicated setup - even a netbook would probably do the job. Bring the output from a USB port through a simple audio-interface into your broadcast mixer.

Software? Jazler Show is well-thought-of and very flexible.

HTH. Mike
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Re: Equipment advice

Postby Martin Walker » Tue May 24, 2011 9:54 am

Hi Jowie, and welcome to the SOS Forums!

I agree with Mike on this one - the computer you already mention for Internet streaming should be easily able to play back jingles as well, without you getting involved in more expense on extra hardware.

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode