You are here

Allesis iO Dock?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Allesis iO Dock?

Postby sthum » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:15 pm

The Allesis iO Dock for iPad.

Has anyone had any experience with this cool looking piece of kit?

If so... just how effective would it be in a live situation or how useful could it prove to be in the studio?

How will it benefit iPad Apps in the future too?

Sthum..........

sthum
Regular

Re: Allesis iO Dock?

Postby hollowsun » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:00 pm

I don't think it's available just yet but through my association with Alesis, I have been privvy to see a prototype in action a while back at HQ and it was well kewl. Seemed to do what it says on the tin.

From what I saw of it, I'd go so far as to say it transforms iPad apps in that you slot the pad into the dock and it communicates with the outside world with all the usual connections (audio jacks, MIDI, USB, etc.) and those music apps which are just kind of novelty toys on their own and self contained within the iPad itself become proper tools which you can easily plumb into your audio system much like you would a 'proper' piece of hardware.

In fact, it will be interesting to see what effect the iPad/iDock combo has on the development of hardware synths, etc.. We all know that modern h/w synths are essentially s/w internally and we pay for the knobbage, the (limited) LCDs, D-As, I/Os, casework, etc.. Well, a lot of that is overcome with the iPad and its touchscreen and knobs and displays effectively come for free in iOS (and aren't really restricted by physical limitations) and the iDock provides all the D-As and I/Os.

Interesting times.

And yes, I'll pre-empt those who will shout with despair "But it's not the same as having real hardware with real knobs" by agreeing - it's not the same but it's an interesting development nonetheless ... and it's still in its infancy.

But I have a sneaking suspicion that in time, the iDock could become almost as ubiquitous as the Alesis ADAT I/O!
hollowsun
Frequent Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:36 pm

It reminds me of the Sinclair ZX Spectrum. It looks great, and as soon as there are sufficient orders for it, they will start designing and assembling it.

is it out there or not?

You can order it now through Sounds Live. It's listed as being in stock, but I keep hearing it is not released yet.

Anyone know for sure?
Howdy Doody Time
Regular

The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:38 pm

and I'm tempted to say the appearance of the iPad 2 is what has thrown a spaniard into the works, if indeed there is a spaniard, and if there is anything to work.
Howdy Doody Time
Regular

The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Postby hollowsun » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:58 pm

My understanding is that it's due out in Summer (whatever that means).

And my understanding is that it's compatible with iPad 1 and 2.

It reminds me of the Sinclair ZX Spectrum. It looks great, and as soon as there are sufficient orders for it, they will start designing and assembling it.
It's that kind of baseless conjecture that gives rise to all sorts of interweb bollox. I can tell you with authority that it is already designed - they showed it recently at trade shows.

If you want more info, call Alesis - 01252 896000.
hollowsun
Frequent Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:01 am

Thank you for that sensitive remark. Your kind of reply is exactly the type of inane bollox that gives fora like this a bad name and steers people away.

Do not reply please, unless you are also a last word geek, which I'll bet you are.
Howdy Doody Time
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:01 am

It's Howdy Doody Time wrote:
You can order it now through Sounds Live. It's listed as being in stock, but I keep hearing it is not released yet.

Anyone know for sure?

End of July last time I asked, but no idea if that's slipped or moved forward in the meantime.

Bit cheeky them listing it as live stock...
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby Aftertouch » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:05 am

Aftertouch
Frequent Poster

Postby MarkOne » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:31 am

It's Howdy Doody Time wrote:Thank you for that sensitive remark. Your kind of reply is exactly the type of inane bollox that gives fora like this a bad name and steers people away.

Do not reply please, unless you are also a last word geek, which I'll bet you are.

However, it was baseless conjecture, wasn't it? Unless of course you have a link you care to post up that confirms that is a business practice Alesis engage in. In which case, by all means, share

Products are often announced at trade shows quite a while ahead of their production start. I have worked in consumer electronics, I've done that sort of show. If the trade show is inconveniently timed with respect to the booked production slot, what do you do? Not announce it? Or show it anyway in the knowledge that someone is going to start speculating about it's actual existence?

Also, rumours started on prominent web fora such as this do tend to take on a life of their own. And have in the past been directly responsible for the eventual discontinuation of a product.

I still reckon it's a cool looking bit of kit and will be following its eventual release with interest
MarkOne
Frequent Poster

Postby mankind-nil » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:09 am

Pipe down boys!

Now what really would be interesting is whether the audio input goes through the same ~200Hz Hi-pass filter that the mic circuitry goes through. As far as I can tell from information available, this filter is automatically applied to all incoming (analog) audio in the iPads/iPhones.

This is assuming that the ioDock is simply connecting audio to the appropriate dock pins, i.e. it is not acting as a USB audio interface...
mankind-nil
Poster

Postby Paul Nagle » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:30 pm

I would hope it does act as an audio interface (my humble Behringer UMA25S does this) ... just waiting keenly to get my hands on one, like many others.
Paul Nagle
Regular

Postby hollowsun » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:40 pm

It does work as an audio I/o.

Here's what our roving reporter (someone called Paul White?) had to report

And at 1' 46", there's a rare sighting of a young Adolf Hitler in the background!
hollowsun
Frequent Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:51 pm

I guess it could have been seen as baseless conjecture. However I recall Clive Sinclair brandishing a spectrum 18 months before it was released.

But it was released eventually.

I had paid my 199 quid seven months before I got the thing, so the trade fair showing didn't impress me much, and I don't fancy paying Sounds Live on the same deal.

That's really what I wanted to say.

If the Alesis appears I'll be the first in the queue, Garage band on the iPad is amazing, what with the touchy feely instruments and the instant chord strums, and the keyboard scales etc. and for £2.99!!

What would make it absolutely fabulous would be the Alesis gadget. So I do hope it appears, and it is not impeded in any way by the Pad 2

The fact that Hollowsun thinks not (he seems to have inside info) is encouraging
Howdy Doody Time
Regular

Postby . . . Delete This User . . . » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:30 am

err yeah, Steve (Hollowsun) has worked closely with Alesis (and Akai, and many others) for many years.....

you might also look up his product line....

http://www.hollowsun.com/shop/about/index.html
. . . Delete This User . . .
Frequent Poster

Postby . . . Delete This User . . . » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:37 am

mind you, having seen working pre-production models in no way absolutely guarantees it's appearance on the shop shelves....

for example, Lexicon Mx500 , a Firewire equipped consumer priced unit , with much of the functionality of the PCM96, i saw and heard a pre-production unit working... it even got advertised in the shops as being for sale, then never actually shipped......

(no one ever told me why, i thin k Lexicon just quietly hoped no one would notice.... )

i was all set to buy it.... (granted , at trade, not retail, but still..... )

then it just vanished.

http://www.dv247.com/news/Lexicon%20MX500%20FireWire%20Reverb%20Announced/131308

shame really....
Frequent Poster

Postby Howdy Doody Time » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:25 am

Quote from another forum 13th June

I e-mailed DV to see if this would work with ipad 2. They said yes but it wouldn't fit as snug because ipad 2 is obviously thinner. So in other words the Alesis IO is obsolete 5 minutes after release!! Not unless you want your ipad 2 slipping out of it everytime you move it. Epic fail for Alesis. Real shame. I wanted this to work to sell me an ipad. Still waiting for a reason to buy one. ipad 3 probably would have come & gone before one comes up.

Howdy Doody Time
Regular

Postby Aftertouch » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:09 am

I wouldn't quite say 'epic fail' (why do I dislike that term so much ). Alesis and other manufacturers are in a very tricky position, sine Apple are famously guarded about their developments. Unless they invite you in as a development partner, with an idea of their product roadmap, thinks like this will always happen.
Aftertouch
Frequent Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:32 am

It isn't out yet though is it? So how can DV say what the fit is like?

I've not checked the Paul White video, but has anybody got any other videos of one in use, with audio going in and out etc?
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:38 am

Samples are out for testing/reviews but no stock has shipped as yet. GearJunkies had a front page on it yesterday saying they were putting it through the mangle this next few weeks.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby chris... » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:37 am

hollowsun wrote:In fact, it will be interesting to see what effect the iPad/iDock combo has on the development of hardware synths, etc.. We all know that modern h/w synths are essentially s/w internally and we pay for the knobbage, the (limited) LCDs, D-As, I/Os, casework, etc.. Well, a lot of that is overcome with the iPad and its touchscreen and knobs and displays effectively come for free in iOS (and aren't really restricted by physical limitations) and the iDock provides all the D-As and I/Os.

I'm enthused by the User Interface possibilities presented by the touchscreen. This might just be a better alternative to hardware knobs than the usual softsynth GUI involving dragging fiddly virtual knobs with the mouse.

However, I think I'd personally prefer this as a remote control surface for a proper computer, which runs the heavy plugins/DSP/audio stuff. No dock required, and no ugly wires hanging out the shiny iPad. It simply sends UI commands over WiFi.
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:57 am

Pete Kaine wrote:Samples are out for testing/reviews but no stock has shipped as yet. GearJunkies had a front page on it yesterday saying they were putting it through the mangle this next few weeks.

This is good to see that it is moving forward.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Michael. » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:56 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:Samples are out for testing/reviews but no stock has shipped as yet. GearJunkies had a front page on it yesterday saying they were putting it through the mangle this next few weeks.

A bit of a shame scan are listing it as overdue since 21st June then and even took money for a 'pre-order'

(I don't really mind as I expected it to still be a while, but you could prod someone to check the system, as it states pre-order but seems to go through as a 'current' order - I did get an SMS to say it would be delayed but no follow-up email that the SMS suggested I'd get)

I'm really looking forward to this as I need somewhere to charge my iPad
Michael.
Poster

Postby . . . Delete This User . . . » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:47 pm

Anyone seen the digitech iPad based programmable pedal board yet???

very cool....
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:04 pm

Michael. wrote:
A bit of a shame scan are listing it as overdue since 21st June then and even took money for a 'pre-order'

I hadn't even realised that we'd got it listed!

Sorry about that. When they set it up they put in a ETA and it defaults to live after that date, which in this instance due to delays is clearly wrong.

I'll tell them to revert it tomorrow in light of that as I hate it as much as the next person when something like this happens.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby hollowsun » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:21 pm

The iO Dock is now shipping.

Seems the first batch went out before the adaptor for iPad2 was included but subsequent ones will have the adaptor included.

If you have an iO Dock that doesn't have the adaptor but need it for your iPad2, go to..

http://www.alesis.com/iodockadaptor

Fill out your details and one will be sent FOC.

I have this from the horse's mouth at Alesis HQ in the US - just been speaking to my chum there.

I hope this clears up all the speculation.

Further details
hollowsun
Frequent Poster

Postby Michael. » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:39 am

Pete Kaine wrote:I'll tell them to revert it tomorrow in light of that as I hate it as much as the next person when something like this happens.

Thanks.

Hopefully it will be live soon following the official release news - I have a space all ready for it to sit
Michael.
Poster

Postby Aftertouch » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:32 am

Looks like a nice simple solution for the iPad 2 that adapter.
Aftertouch
Frequent Poster

Postby Pete Kaine » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:48 am

Michael. wrote:
Pete Kaine wrote:I'll tell them to revert it tomorrow in light of that as I hate it as much as the next person when something like this happens.

Thanks.

Hopefully it will be live soon following the official release news - I have a space all ready for it to sit

Hi,

Spoke to the rep this morning and we're being told Monday is the current shipping target in the UK, so should be with you very soon hopefully.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster

Postby sthum » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:21 pm

Thanks to everyone for their input!

I'm really looking forward to this... it should indeed prove to be a very cool piece of kit?

Sthum..........

sthum
Regular

Postby Michael. » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:54 am

Pete Kaine wrote:Spoke to the rep this morning and we're being told Monday is the current shipping target in the UK, so should be with you very soon hopefully.

It's still very quiet on this (and the web page still shows overdue since 21st)

(I've raised a customer support message, just in case)

Edit: Official line now seems to be 'no date'

Oh well, back to waiting.
Michael.
Poster

Next