You are here

Studio Monitoring quandary

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Studio Monitoring quandary

Postby Stratt » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:27 am

Hi Gang

Here's what I'm doing at the moment:

I have a Sonic Core Scope based DAW for ITB production. One of the Scope ADAT OUTs is connected to my old Yamaha 01V mixer ADAT IN for monitoring purposes. The Yammy 01V analogue main outs are connected to a TC Electronic Level Pilot for volume control before going into my active monitors.

The reason I still use the 01V is so I can have multiple sources connected for monitoring, zero latency talent headphone cues on auxes etc. I could also use it for live band recording via ADAT into the DAW, not that that's ever happened.

Here's the problem:

The headphone and monitor outs on the 01V are awful. I'm not sure if they always were but there's some digital distortion in one channel when the signal is low, so fade out and reverb trails end prematurely in a scratchy stop, like there are some bits missing at the LSB end, although the main outs appear to be unaffected.

So, what I’ve been thinking is that I really need better monitor control that includes a decent headphone output. I’ve looked at things like the SM Audio Pro M-Patch 2, but I’m not sure about the quality of the headphone amp. I also looked at the Mackie Big Knob but found out it’s active (no thanks!). I can’t justify £460 on a Presonus Central Station so I’m kind of stuck.

Are there any glaringly obvious scenarios I’ve overlooked? Should I get a DAC with a headphone amp and bypass the 01V by using the Scope SP/DIF out?

Thanks for any ideas.

Stratt
Stratt
Poster

ICT Manager at Royal & Derngate, Northampton