You are here

John Walden's "Vocal Comping in Cubase 6"

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

John Walden's "Vocal Comping in Cubase 6"

Postby alexis » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:50 pm

Thank you, John - what an EXCELLENT article ... I was actually hoping that topic would come out in this month's SOS - perfect!

In the very last paragraph, you tantalizingly wrote: "... the full version of Cubase 6 also allows you to perform multitrack comping processes using the Group Editing options in the project window. This is potentially very useful for editing multiple takes from multitrack recordings of backing vocals or drums — but that’s a topic to save for another day!"

I will start working on some backing vocals soon ... can you (or anyone else )please give a little preview of how to do this?

Thanks!
alexis
Frequent Poster

Cubase7.5.40 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Re: John Walden's "Vocal Comping in Cubase 6"

Postby onesecondglance » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:35 pm

put all your tracks in a folder. on the folder there's a little button which turns on "group editing". then any changes you make to any of the tracks is applied to the other tracks in the folder.

it only really works if all the audio files in the folders are aligned - it's designed for multiple microphone recordings of a single source (e.g. drums, guitar amps etc.). but you can fudge it into working with unaligned tracks if you're patient enough.
onesecondglance
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:33 pm

onesecondglance wrote:it only really works if all the audio files in the folders are aligned - it's designed for multiple microphone recordings of a single source (e.g. drums, guitar amps etc.). but you can fudge it into working with unaligned tracks if you're patient enough.
+1 I find it best to simply bounce a number of tracks so I can get something I can edit at group level. It’s well worth the effort.

For example, when you’re tracking, re-tracking, editing and dropping in bits of multi-part backing vocals you can end up with a quite unholy mess. But a couple of bounces later you can deal with your BVs as a single entity, making the whole process much simpler.

To be fair you could group parts in earlier versions of Cubase, but it was a bit obscure IMO. Since it’s been placed as a group control I find it much easier to deal with.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby alexis » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:05 pm

Thank you onesecondglance and The Elf - I'll look at doing it in group editing, after I work on timing and pitch.

... breathlessly awaiting further details from another fine fine SOS "how to"!
alexis
Frequent Poster

Cubase7.5.40 64bit;i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM;W10 64bit on Samsung SSD840 Pro256GB;Seagte 1TB SATA600 Audio;UR28M;Motif8;UAD2Solo;Jamstix 3.3;BCF2K;TC Helicon VoiceOne;RevoicePro3.2

Postby Andi » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:38 am

Bear in mind that you can group edit by selecting your events and grouping them (ctrl G); this doesn't require your events to have common start times and lengths and so avoids the requirement to bounce as described above.

A.
Andi
Frequent Poster
Andi, www.thedustbowlaudio.com Mixing, Mastering, Audio Editing (and articles) at The Dustbowl Audio

Postby Matt Houghton » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:44 pm

alexis wrote:what an EXCELLENT article ... I was actually hoping that topic would come out in this month's SOS - perfect!

Hi Alexis,
Glad you liked the article. I've drawn your comments to John's attention.
Meanwhile, if there are other areas that you could use a hand on and that the manual doesn't explain well enough for you, don't be scared to put forward suggestions for other Cubase tutorials
Cheers,
Matt
Matt Houghton
Regular

SOS Reviews Editor