You are here

Putting a Band Together?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Putting a Band Together?

Postby sthum » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:15 pm

Not sure if this is in the right place.... though it is kinda relevant?

I've been writing my own songs since I was 14! Played in a good rock band for fun (no real ambitions) for many years until I was 25!
A diverse career move took me away from the scene until recently.
Now that I'm in my mid 40's I'd like to take a few songs out on the road/Live circuit and see how they go down?

I'm hoping to put a good band together but I've been off the scene for so long that I'm not really sure where to start looking for future band members.

I suppose I'm also on the look out for 'budding songwriters' too... so any new members would hopefully be reasonably like minded re my writing style? Or maybe not.... maybe a different style would be good for me?

I could play and sing on stage with just me and my mac book pro backing tracks but thats not really live.... is it?

I don't think advertising in the Belfast Telegraph would be very 2011?

Could you please suggest alternative methods for getting in touch with other musicians? I'm not really up on social networking and I'm not aware of any sites that can help in this regard.

I need the typical line up... a drummer, bass player, guitarist and 1 or 2 keyboard/piano players.
My writing style would be best described as Indie Electronic with a little bit of Harry Nilsson thrown in!

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Sthum...........

sthum
Regular

Re: Putting a Band Together?

Postby Agamemnon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:24 am

I'm in a similar position, trying to put a new band together (amateur but committed) having just left a previous one. So far I've been looking around cautiously for about a month, gradually getting more info, with limited progress so far. But for what it's worth, here's a few things I've been looking at:

- the following sites aim to get musicians together: joinmyband.co.uk find-a-musician.com bandmix.co.uk musicians-in-your-city.co.uk . The last of these I've only just looked at and it's pretty inscrutable! Most need a smallish payment to get the best out of. Each has their own frustrations....It does seem in general that one needs to be pro-active on these things - just putting up an advert saying 'musicians wanted' and expecting people to contact isn't enough. You have to contact people

- past/present contacts through friends, jams, old bands etc. - even friends-of-friends-of-friends. I have had some interest from unexpected sources here. You never know until you ask.

- the MU also, I believe, has lists. I've yet to look at those.

- the other things I've yet to investigate: advertising at local music shops (and contacting those advertising), local adverts, music teachers.

- drums and bass seem the hardest to find. Not going to rule out talking to those drummers already in bands - they might be happy to be in another, or may know of others.
Agamemnon
Regular

Postby BJG145 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:35 am

Finding one, let alone two, keyboard players is likely to be a challenge, but yep, those websites are a good place to start. +1 for JoinMyBand. When recruiting new members, remember that enthusiasm is generally inversely proportional to ability.
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby grab » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:28 am

We've had some success finding vocalists through JoinMyBand for our covers band. That said, we've got a website, demos, pics of us in action, and 2 hours of gig-ready material, so we're reasonably attractive to singers wanting to get out there ASAP.

Main thing is demos. If people don't know what you sound like, don't know your music, don't know whether your writing is any good, then you're going to have problems.

Also age and dependents could be an issue. Not to put too fine a point on it, most startup bands are younger than you and me. They can take gigs at a moment's notice and flog themselves around the circuit all weekend, bcos they have no other commitments. Or they can take that warm-up tour with some other band and not care about jacking in the day-job. Most 40ish people have houses and families, which rather puts the kibosh on that kind of behaviour. Of course, if you don't then no worries.
grab
Frequent Poster

Postby Scramble » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:00 am

Ads in music shops are still a tried-and-tested method.

Also try musofinder.com. But remember that the rise of these sites means that everyone now has a bigger range of other musicians to choose from, so like the guy above says, you need some good demos, etc. to attract people.
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Postby humandrums » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:18 pm

joinmyband.co.uk
musofinder.co.uk

i think there is one called musicians in your city as well, myspace,facebook and twitter also
humandrums
Regular

Postby sthum » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:59 pm

Thats great folks.... at least i now have a place to start, which is always a good thing!

Cheers,

Sthum........

sthum
Regular

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:32 am

+1 for joinmyband.com

I'm also in my 40s and used it a couple of years ago when I wanted to get back into playing live (in my case I wasn't bothered whether it was covers or original material). I got fixed up within a couple of days. At one point earlier this year it looked as though the band might have to split due to outside commitments so I placed another ad on joinmyband and got several replies, some of which were promising.

If you've not played in a band for a while just spare a thought for 'band politics'. I don't expect that you'll be making much, if any, money from this so you are relying on everybody's good will to keep things together. That probably means making some significant compromises when it comes to material, style, direction etc. At least being older things are generally more relaxed with everybody being less ambitious and more able to get along but just remember that not everybody will share your vision of what the band should be.

Chris
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:10 am

On other way - get out to small gigs and chat to musicians who sound interesting. Maybe do a few open mic gigs (after checking them out first) as a way to get people interested in your sound. The current members of our band were all found through personal contacts.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby The_BPP » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:20 am

After playing in bands for around 25 years now, I appreciate it's very difficult to start a band from scratch, and much easier to join an existing band.

Just remember it's as much about personality as it is about ability, and that "personality clashes" will effectively remove any enjoyment that the rest of the band may provide.
The_BPP
Frequent Poster

Postby TalkShowMan » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:28 pm

Hi sthum,

I notice you mentioned Belfast Telegraph in your original post, does this mean you're from Belfarce? If so I may have some ideas for you along the line of James's post about open-mic nights and earlier mentions of music shops.

Open Mic nights - Monday in The John Hewitt (run by Dominic O'Neill), Tuesday in LaBoca (run by Geoff Gatt). There are others running such as Wednesdays in Lavery's but for my money the ones I've mentioned are the best to check out.

Music shops - Matchetts, Bairds, and the newly opened Belfast Guitar Centre are your best bets

Music schools - to take a different slant, get involved with workshops and courses at ICM Belfast (where I am admittedly a member of staff), and I hear good things about the Oh Yeah centre. Belfast also has a serious amount of practice rooms and spaces, maybe stick a flyer or two in the area.

Hope that's of some use, give me a bell if I can be of any more assistance. On another note, have you checked out the Nilsson documentary yet?

PS - One last thing to check out: www.fastfude.org (local music forum which can quickly descend into madness but which can occasionally be useful for finding musos)
TalkShowMan
Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:01 pm

Divisions in my band reared their ugly head again this week. Amazing how some people can go from not being able to tell the difference between a major and minor chord to "the drummer's lack of commitment is holding me back" in a matter of months (we're a pub band made up of 40 somethings for f%*#ks sake). Anyway, I had a look on Join My Band and within 24 hours I've found something very promising. Similar age, goals and musical tastes etc.

I'd urge any of you out there who think that they'd like to join a band - just get out there and give it a try, it's never been easier.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster