You are here

music video on CD

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

music video on CD

Postby ProximityProduction » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:51 am

not sure if this is the right place to post this:

I'm looking to get about 200 CD's duplicated and printed etc. The CD will have our single, a remix (or acoustic version) and I would also like to put the music video on there...?

I seem to remember buying CD's that had music video on too when you put them on the computer? or am i going completely mad?

Is this possible?

Cheers in advance

J
ProximityProduction
Regular

Re: music video on CD

Postby Big Kev » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:22 am

Funnily enough I came across an old Apollo 440 CD the other day that had video on it (CD enhanced I think it was called). The system requirements printed on the cover made me feel old. A PC with a 486 processor and tiny amounts of RAM - I can't remember the exact details.

I did watch some of the video and got bored rather quickly as it's quicker to just watch it on youtube!

I suppose it's still a good promo thing which sets you apart from other unsigned bands, but personally I'd stick with watching on youtube.
Big Kev
Regular

I met a strange lady, she made me nervous; she took me in and gave me breakfast

Postby ProximityProduction » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:29 am

Big Kev wrote:
I did watch some of the video and got bored rather quickly as it's quicker to just watch it on youtube!

Surely tech has advanced to make it quicker now though?

We don't wanna just have 2 tracks on the CD, cause people wouldn't be getting their monies worth for what we'd have to sell em for to get our money back.

Also the idea is that the video will then be on their itunes and they can have it on their ipods/phones easily...?
ProximityProduction
Regular

Postby The Korff » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:34 am

I like the idea — especially if the video isn't on YouTube; you'll be adding value to the CD, which is nice (I used to collect those video singles, I've got dozens of 'em! I even used to buy them when I had the songs on various albums...)

The format is called 'Enhanced CD' IIRC, but I don't know how they're authored. Hopefully there'll be a mastering engineer along soon who does!

Cheers,

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster

I AM KORFF

Postby ProximityProduction » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:56 am

thanks korff,

I assume it'll push the cost up of the duplication?
ProximityProduction
Regular

Postby Dave Blackman » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:56 am

Yep, it's an enhanced CD. We do them here by burning the audio portion on the workstation (SADiE) without closing the disc. We then add the video using toast on a mac. The disc then behaves like a regular CD in a CD player, but the video file shows up when you explore the disc on a computer. We don't do fancy menus - for that you'd need a dedicated multimedia guy.

Hope that helps.

Dave
Dave Blackman
Regular

Postby Dave Blackman » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:57 am

And it shouldn't push up the dupe cost - once you've got the master disc done you should be able to copy it just like any other disc.
Dave Blackman
Regular

Postby ProximityProduction » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:08 pm

Perfect

Will just need to find someone who can do it now, we're running out of money (as usual)

thanks for all the help!
ProximityProduction
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:57 pm

Dave explained the basic process. If someone wants me to do this I will usually put a very basic web page onto the disc that links to the extra files as just about everyone has a web browser these days. You can also use this web page to link to your main website too.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby CD Duplication » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:13 am

We used to get a lot of requests for this - not so much anymore.

We didn't get into the creation of the master for obvious reasons but it was explained by a mastering studio here in Austin that these are achieved by creating a multi-session - one session is the music and the other is the content.

The problem has always been getting the content compressed to fit on the disc without distorting the video.

Personally, I like the link back to web content because then you could always update the information - and if its only content that you show to people who purchase the recording, maybe add a special offer (another track or a lyric booklet etc) for those who share their email and then build a list of people you know have your first recording so that when you have your second one you can market it right to that list aka a very warm market as they like to call it.

Hope it went well for you.
CD Duplication

Postby mooblie » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:07 pm

CD Duplication wrote:...The problem has always been getting the content compressed to fit on the disc without distorting the video....
I recommend H.264 compression (a version of MP4) that will play on any computer (or iPhone). It uses about 10Mbytes per minute of video. It looks like "very good" YouTube quality. (See my sig. for links to some samples...)
mooblie
Regular

Martin at HeadSpin