You are here

Your knowledge of Mastering

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Your knowledge of Mastering

Postby Alexia » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:29 am

Hello everyone,

My name is Alexia Clarkson and I am an undergrad currently finishing a research project for my Bachelor of Recording Arts.

My research topic is on the misunderstandings of Mastering and ways to nurture education in this area.

I have crafted a questionnaire designed to help shed light on the basic understanding of Mastering of those working and studying in our industry, with hopes of developing a website that can efficiently provide ongoing support and education. I am particularly interested in the answers and opinions of those new to the industry, but would appreciate input from all levels.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFBUZWkyU2xuX2F6Tk5Kdy04eWNjNFE6MQ

The questionnaire is short, comprising of 15 questions, and should only take up to 10 minutes to complete. Your answers to the questions will be kept confidential (used only for the purposes of research for this project).

If you have any experience or knowledge in Mastering, your participation in my research would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Alexia Clarkson
Alexia

Re: Your knowledge of Mastering

Postby desmond » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:19 am

Nice survey. Done.
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: SOS Apr 87
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby James Perrett » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:24 am

Got to the second page and realised that your're not aiming it at proper mastering engineers so I stopped filling it in. Looks like it is really intended for other students as there are a couple of questions on page 2 where the correct answers are not offered.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby narcoman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:54 pm

James, indeed so.
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby SafeandSound Mastering » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:26 pm

If you can suffer a bit of unadulterated self promo you may find a decent bit of information on here:

What is mastering?
SafeandSound Mastering
Frequent Poster

Postby Dark Fader » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:26 pm

James Perrett wrote:Got to the second page and realised that your're not aiming it at proper mastering engineers so I stopped filling it in. Looks like it is really intended for other students as there are a couple of questions on page 2 where the correct answers are not offered.

James.

I've just been re-reading Bob Katz and was thinking the same thing about page 2 (I am not a proper M.E. btw)
Dark Fader
Regular
...rubbish at words 'n' stuff.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:49 pm

Dark Fader wrote:I've just been re-reading Bob Katz and was thinking the same thing about page 2 (I am not a proper M.E. btw)

If you're refering to the K12 meter question... the right answer is an option! But question 4 is very debatable to say the least and question 6 doesn't offer a valid answer at all. And I'm not sure that many professional mastering engineers use multiband compression 'often'!

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby desmond » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:20 pm

I didn't expect it was targeted towards professional mastering engineers, especially when a "basic knowledge of mastering" was mentioned in the OP.

I thought it was targeted to help provide information to people with misconceptions about mastering, and although I would have like to see a little more on "loudness" it seemed to do it's job... :shrugs:
desmond
Jedi Poster

mu:zines | music magazine archive | Latest: SOS Apr 87
Vintage issues of Sound On Sound, Electronics & Music Maker, Music Technology and more...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:34 pm

desmond wrote:I thought it was targeted to help provide information to people with misconceptions about mastering

I think it's more about gaining some idea of people's understanding of mastering... but of course, that requires a good understanding of mastering on the part of the questionaire designer to generate appropriate questions and interpret the answers.

There is a hint of the blind testing the blind here... but overall I'm sure some useful impressions will emerge.

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Dark Fader » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:15 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Dark Fader wrote:I've just been re-reading Bob Katz and was thinking the same thing about page 2 (I am not a proper M.E. btw)

If you're refering to the K12 meter question... the right answer is an option! But question 4 is very debatable to say the least and question 6 doesn't offer a valid answer at all. And I'm not sure that many professional mastering engineers use multiband compression 'often'!

hugh

No Hugh, I wasn't talking about the K12 meter question so you can stop patronising me now
Dark Fader
Regular

Postby Dark Fader » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:10 pm

Dark Fader wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:

hugh

No Hugh, I wasn't talking about the K12 meter question so you can stop patronising me now

Actually, I can see why you thought that, Bob having such a focus on it. Looking at the questionnaire again it does seem more about gauging opinion (or misconception?).
Dark Fader
Regular

Postby narcoman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:29 pm

Question 2 has a NEARLY right answer but not THE right one.
Question 4 doesn't really even HAVE an answer. The most common RMS value isn't in the list. -6 is too high, -12 too low.
Question 6 doesn't have the right answer - but it has a NEARLY right answer
narcoman
Frequent Poster
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby Dark Fader » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Yeah, q4 says 'should' rather than 'is'. The idea of what value 'should' has changed over time. And the nearest fit answers to q's 2 and 6 are like misquotes, or is that mosquitoes!
Dark Fader
Regular

Postby narcoman » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:39 pm

i feel the insect driven answer works.
narcoman
Frequent Poster

Postby noisecontrol » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:08 am

desmond wrote:I didn't expect it was targeted towards professional mastering engineers, especially when a "basic knowledge of mastering" was mentioned in the OP.

I thought it was targeted to help provide information to people with misconceptions about mastering, and although I would have like to see a little more on "loudness" it seemed to do it's job... :shrugs:
Yeah I agree with you Desmond. I think considering the purpose, it does the job.
Comments like "And I'm not sure that many professional mastering engineers use multiband compression 'often'!" are strange considering from the pages of Sound on Sound magazine I quote "Multi-band compression is a tool commonly used as part of the mastering process". Found here: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr07/a ... h_0407.htm
But I see where they're coming from on the other points raised.
noisecontrol

Postby narcoman » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:30 am

well, that was then and this is now. Multibands have been largely walked away from in mastering.
narcoman
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:34 am

Very few knowledgeable mastering engineers ever used multi-band compression. If they were used then it was usually only with a single band of compression to tame certain parts of the sound. It was the radio stations who really embraced multi-band compression.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:05 am

noisecontrol wrote: Comments like "And I'm not sure that many professional mastering engineers use multiband compression 'often'!" are strange considering from the pages of Sound on Sound magazine I quote "Multi-band compression is a tool commonly used as part of the mastering process". Found here: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr07/a ... h_0407.htm

I gave my personal opinion based on my personal experience. John Walden's views and experiences may be different.

While I know of mastering engineers who have constructued forms of multiband compression to tackle specific problems on occasion, I don't know of any who would consider such a technique as a routine or common process. Maybe that was an urban myth put about by TC Electonic when they launched the Finalyser all those years ago!

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Red Mastering » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:41 pm

narcoman wrote:Question 2 has a NEARLY right answer but not THE right one.
Question 4 doesn't really even HAVE an answer. The most common RMS value isn't in the list. -6 is too high, -12 too low.
Question 6 doesn't have the right answer - but it has a NEARLY right answer
good I wasn't alone finding this 'test' odd...
I've found it on a different forum
well, they didn't 'catch' rihanna or gaga, for sure, as rms there could be round 3-4dB rms,
I'd wish it to have around healthy -12dB.....
I think it's sort of seo knowledge building test, as someone who created it,
doesn't really understand a subject
Red Mastering
Regular

online mastering