You are here

iOS 5 on iPad - big problems with sound

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

iOS 5 on iPad - big problems with sound

Postby Richard Graham » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:36 pm

Hi, I've not posted round here for a while but I wanted to warn iPad users about iOS 5. Since "upgrading" the sound on my iPad2 has been properly shafted: the previous iOS was perfect. Problems include muting sound for no reason, other times the volume control not responsive, and the internal speaker working maybe 10% of the time. I am gutted as I just bought the Animoog app (which is phenomenal by the way) and generally I need my iPad to make a noise. I've Googled the problem many times and in many ways and it seems I am not alone. What's more frustrating is that there are apparently solutions (involving the mute/lock button in Settings) and these sometimes seem to work but then the problems recurr for no apparent reason. I have yet to find a proper definitive solution. I suspect it will have to wait for the next iOS. The iPad is my first Apple device and I have been loving it until now. Please Apple, pull your finger out and fix these problems. In the meantime I would urge any musician whose iPad is working fine, not to upgrade to iOS 5. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I've been trying to fix this for days, no luck, and I know there are others in the same boat.
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster
"We live in capitalism, its power seems inescapable: but then, so did the divine right of kings. Any human power can be resisted and changed by human beings." - Ursula K. LeGuin

Re: iOS 5 on iPad - big problems with sound

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:46 pm

No problems here at all. All working fine, including Animoog. This is iPad2 with IOS5.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Postby Richard Graham » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:53 pm

Bob Bickerton wrote:No problems here at all. All working fine, including Animoog. This is iPad2 with IOS5.

Bob

Lucky you! Mine was working fine too: before the upgrade, that is. My point was, if you've not upgraded yet, and your iPad is working fine, I would hold off until the next iOS. I'm not the only one who had encountered problems, try googling "iOS 5 sound mute".

It may be that 90% of users, like Bob, don't experience problems. I can tell you though, it's a pain in the arse being one of those who do. Not worth the risk IMHO for the few enhancements provided by iOS 5.
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster
"We live in capitalism, its power seems inescapable: but then, so did the divine right of kings. Any human power can be resisted and changed by human beings." - Ursula K. LeGuin

Postby Richard Graham » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:42 pm

Apologies to all those for whom iOS 5 is working like a dream, i've popped back on to warn again against upgrading to iOS 5. I've now tried various suggested remedies several times (resetting all settings, messing with the mute switch, contact cleaner on the headphone jack) without a fix. Audio is still dropping in and out at random, in various apps (music player, animoog, garageband, angry birds, even the typewriter clicky sound in the Writer app) and I've discovered a new quirk too.

When playing back a single track of audio in GarageBand (a guitar going through one of the nice amp-sims) the position bar/cursor/vertical line thingy, will keep returning to the start of the track while the audio briefly mutes. So it's not an audio-only issue but seems to affect the non-audio behaviour of audio software, too.

It's not only confined to the iPad 2 either. A work mate of mine has had problems with sound since "upgrading" his original iPad.

Neither of us had a pick of bother before iOS 5.
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster

Postby chris... » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:59 pm

Can you restore from a backup taken by iTunes before you upgraded ?
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby Richard Graham » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:22 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Chris. I didn't realise this was possible. I could give it a go. I'm not sure how these things work. I know iTunes took a backup, do you think it's possible to revert to a previous version of the OS? (I suppose I thought iTunes was just backing up my data and software)
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster

Postby chris... » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:27 pm

Fraid I'm not sure under exactly what circumstances this is / isn't possible.

But might be worth checking in to.
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby Richard Graham » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:46 pm

Just checked this one Chris, on the Apple website. Looks like you can't revert to previous versions of the OS, the backup is just for apps and data. On the same page though, it suggests that you can restore the entire device to a virgin state and then pull your apps and data back from a backup. So I'll give that a go. Thanks for the suggestion!
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster

Postby Gary M » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:23 pm

Bob Bickerton wrote:No problems here at all. All working fine, including Animoog. This is iPad2 with IOS5.

Bob

No probs here on an iPad 2.
Gary M
Regular

Postby G-Doubleyou » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:34 pm

Take it to your local Apple store for an evaluation.

G-Doubleyou
Frequent Poster

G-Dub Studio G-fx 15inch quad-core i7 Macbook Pro Logic9.1.8, LPX 10.0.3

Postby Richard Graham » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:55 pm

Thought I would post to say that the latest iOS (5.0.1 i think) cleared up the problems... I did take it to an Apple Store and the genius guy flattened it and took it right back to a virgin iOS 5 install, but this didn't work, the sound problems were worse, if anything, and I was beginning to despair when iOS 5.0.1 was released. Looks like the problem was with ios 5. I'll not be upgrading in a hurry next time, but will wait until the next iOS version is released with the bugs fixed!
Richard Graham
Frequent Poster