You are here

Remastering

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Remastering

Postby yuriapt22 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:04 am

Hi everyone!My friend asked me to remaster his 90s old master track but I've never done this before.
If somebody could help me with that I would appreciate it very much.I mean what plugins and its order I should use because I know it differs from general mastering and there are many options to hear from different people but I want to find my own way to do that referring to people answers.Thank you in advance.Best regards to everyone!
yuriapt22
Poster

Re: Remastering

Postby Dave Blackman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:14 am

Does your friend have the original mixes, or will you be working from the already "mastered" version? And why does your friend feel it needs remastering?

WRT processing chains, it's impossible to say. What do you feel the track needs, if anything? It's a bit like saying "my friend has a head ache - can anyone tell me the tools and process for performing a frontal lobotomy" when all that may be needed is a couple of paracetamol.
Dave Blackman
Regular

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:26 am

This is a bit a like saying 'a friend wants me to style their hair - how should I do it?'!

It's not the kind of thing anyone can tell you to do over a forum. It depends on the source material and what your friend wants doing with the material. Which tools you use, what order you chain them in and how you use them is dependent on the answers to those questions.

Maybe you could post a typical exanple so that the mastering experts here can form an opinion?

'Re-mastering' also implies that you have access to the un-mastered originals. Is this the case?
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Mixedup » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:37 am

The Elf wrote:Maybe you could post a typical example so that the mastering experts here you can form an opinion?

^^^that.

Impossible to say without hearing it.

FWIW, if you've not done this before, then you're probably not the right person for the job, though by all means give it a try.
Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Postby yuriapt22 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:22 am

Thanks for answering.There are no original tracks just original mastered track done a long time ago.I think to do nothing to have no headache.Thanks again.
yuriapt22
Poster

Postby Red Mastering » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:36 am

Dave Blackman wrote:Does your friend have the original mixes, or will you be working from the already "mastered" version? And why does your friend feel it needs remastering?

WRT processing chains, it's impossible to say. What do you feel the track needs, if anything? It's a bit like saying "my friend has a head ache - can anyone tell me the tools and process for performing a frontal lobotomy" when all that may be needed is a couple of paracetamol.
lol:)))
you forget to add -'and I am not a doctor', so this will be my very first lobotomy, should I open my patient from right to left or from top to bottom??:))
If I were a patient I'd choose living with headache then certain death
Red Mastering
Regular

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:13 pm

yuriapt22 wrote:Thanks for answering.There are no original tracks just original mastered track done a long time ago.

Then you need to understand what problem you're trying to fix from the previous mastering. What you're doing here is not 're-mastering' and could not simply be approached using a 'normal' (whatever that may be) chain of gear or techniques.

Give the guys here an example and see what they have to say.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.