You are here

Recording speakers in a room

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Recording speakers in a room

Postby RishiP » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Hello

A lot of times when I'm A/B'ing tracks I've made with commercial recording I cannot seem to get the right "space" that the reference tracks have using reverb plugins.

I was wondering if anyone has experience or has seen people do this during a mixing or mastering. Playing a track through speaker, hopefully in a nice room, and recording that (minus things like bass, kick drums). Then using that audio to further process (or not).

Another thing I considered toying with is phase reversal. i get a sense, especially when on headphones, that elements like kicks, leads, bass pump out the speaker, but things like pads and other background elements seems to suck into the speaker. I hope someone knows what Im talking about.

Thanks
Rishi
RishiP
Regular

Re: Recording speakers in a room

Postby The Elf » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:29 pm

RishiP wrote:I was wondering if anyone has experience or has seen people do this during a mixing or mastering. Playing a track through speaker, hopefully in a nice room, and recording that (minus things like bass, kick drums). Then using that audio to further process (or not).

This has been happening since the very first dedicated recording studios appeared. Many studios used chambers below ground level (hence the number of 'chamber' presets in digital reverb devices), or would even use a stair well.

My first studio was in an old ambulance room and the long, shiny corridor did a great drum reverb. We had an enormous organ amp/cabinet at one end of the corridor and a couple of PZM's at the other. We would move the cab and mic's for different timings and sometimes would open the outer door for other flavours. At the time, due to the low track counts of tape, we had to run this live at mixdown, but these days you'd simply record it for mixing later.

RishiP wrote:Another thing I considered toying with is phase reversal. i get a sense, especially when on headphones, that elements like kicks, leads, bass pump out the speaker, but things like pads and other background elements seems to suck into the speaker. I hope someone knows what Im talking about.

I'm not convinced you're actually hearing what you think you're hearing, but why not simply flip the polarity on your pads and see if it sounds better to your ears - that's the only way to judge.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.