You are here

Headphone Channels have reversed

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Headphone Channels have reversed

Postby Big Kahuna » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:46 pm

I just got my headphones back from being repaired and they seem to be working fine except for one problem, the channels have completely reversed so if I pan left the sound moves to my right headphone. I decided to just put my headphones on in reverse and that seems to have fixed the problem for now.
I'm curious as to what could cause this to happen and whether I will encounter any problems from wearing my headphones in reverse?
Big Kahuna
Poster

Re: Headphone Channels have reversed

Postby Bob Bickerton » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:52 pm

Some headphones are symmetrical, so it doesn't matter which way round you wear them, others are designed to be worn one way. If you got them repaired locally I'd get them fixed for no charge, worth doing in case someone else picks them up.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster

Postby John Willett » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:17 am

Big Kahuna wrote:I just got my headphones back from being repaired and they seem to be working fine except for one problem, the channels have completely reversed so if I pan left the sound moves to my right headphone. I decided to just put my headphones on in reverse and that seems to have fixed the problem for now.
I'm curious as to what could cause this to happen and whether I will encounter any problems from wearing my headphones in reverse?

What headphones are they?

Maybe the repairer just plugged the lrad back in the wrong way round, so all you have to do is to unplug and re-plug correctly.
John Willett
Jedi Poster

John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
President - Federation Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

Postby Big Kahuna » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:41 am

They are the AKG K141 Studio headphones
Big Kahuna
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:03 pm

Big Kahuna wrote:I'm curious as to what could cause this to happen and whether I will encounter any problems from wearing my headphones in reverse?

Most headphones are wired with a common connection to the 'cold' side of both transducers (which is wired to the sleeve terminal of the plug), and then separatea wires from the 'hot' sides of each transducer. These are wired to the plug tip for the left channel and the plug ring for the right channel.

It could be that in repairing your headphones the plug has been miswired, or that the wrong wires were connected to the wrong terminals in the headphone itself. Did the repair involve replacing or repairing the cable at all?

Alternatively, as John suggests, some headphones have a removable lead with a plug/socket (or two sockets) arrangement at the headphone end, and it might simply be that in repairingt he headphones these have been connected the wrong way around.

In most cases it makes no difference whch way you wear the headphones because the ear cups are entirely symmetrical, but in some cases the ear pads are shaped and/or the transducers are angled inside the shells, in which case weraing them backwards might affect the comfort or tonality.

I'd take the headphones back to your repairer and point out the problem if I were you!

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound