You are here

Electronic Bass and Microphone Preamps

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Electronic Bass and Microphone Preamps

Postby MCP_Music » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:47 am

Hi,

I have a golden age projects pre73 and I also produce electronic music.

What are everyones opinions on running my sub bass through the Gap Pre73? My thoughts are aimed towards thickening the bass to give it a more weighty feeling and slight coloration but I don't wan't it dulling my mix.

As I intend to try it anyway I guess my actual question is, what are the inherent technical pro/cons with running bass through a microphone preamp?

Thanks,
Luca
MCP_Music
Poster

Re: Electronic Bass and Microphone Preamps

Postby nathanscribe » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:35 am

Try it and see what it sounds like.

I have a UA 710 that sees use as a bass guitar DI and synth-souper-upper more than it sees any kind of actual microphone. But it's not suited to everything, and I only use it when I think it will add what I want. Most of the time I just use my regular inputs.

Does the Pre73 have a line input?
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster

my nerdy synth tech blog

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:56 pm

MindControlProtocol_Dubstep wrote: ...my actual question is, what are the inherent technical pro/cons with running bass through a microphone preamp?

Only the obvious issues of achieving a sensible gain structure and avoiding damage to source equipment with phantom power.

hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mixedup » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:11 pm

The Pre73 isn't just a mic pre, Luca; it has a line input specifically to run non-miked sources through it. Also, there's an instrument level DI input.

Question is, if you want to 'thicken' sub bass, why use the sub-bass? Probably better to start with a bass sound with the character you want (which may very well involve the Pre 73) and then trigger a sub from that.
Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Postby MCP_Music » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:29 pm

Yes it does. Line/Mic and DI inputs.

I have previously used a boss loop pedal to feed my bass through and the results were negligible I think on a clean setting, but when I was overdriving the input on the pedal minutely it gave it a mild distorted character.

Maybe I'll try the boss vs the pre73 vs pure sine wave comparison test and post the results..
MCP_Music
Poster