You are here

just finished mixing a new song

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

just finished mixing a new song

Postby vegadec » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:38 pm

I just finished mixing a new song and any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

This is the second mix I do for my solo project and even if I think that thinks have improved there is some parts I am not happy with. Like for example the bass for which I have difficulty to make it sound good on ear-plug for example.

Another topic is the reverbs wish I think can be improved. Anyway thanks for any comments

http://soundcloud.com/eyesandlies/memories
vegadec
Poster

Re: just finished mixing a new song

Postby Phil O » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:16 pm

Kind of like a cross between Serge Gainsbourg and Lou Reed !! Nice laid back vibe. Puts me in mind of 'Walk On The Wild side) for feel.

Possibly a touch repetitive. More variation in the lyrics and instrumentation might help in this regard.

As you mention, the mix is a touch bass light. Try some EQ boost in the lower mids (300-500 Hz) to help.

Vocals are a bit dry for my taste. Some send FX short delay (e.g 16ths) could help the voice sit back in the mix better.

Good work Vegadec
Phil O
Frequent Poster

Postby vegadec » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:27 am

thanks for your feedback Phil.

Good idea for the delay on vocals. This is something I do not enough, I will give it try and add some boost as recommended on the bass.

Cheers for your comments
vegadec
Poster

Postby Phil Reynolds » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:46 pm

First impressions are that the hi-hats seem a bit over-prominent and they're very stilted in the first part of the song - the guitar's rhythm is obvious enough that it doesn't need to be so over-emphasized in this way. Just fourth-note gentle hits would do the job and give much more space and groove to the song.

But, that said, I really like it!
Phil Reynolds
Regular
"We knocked on the doors of Hell's darker chambers..." But no-one answered, so we went to the pub instead.

Postby DavieB » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:31 am

The song is boring and repetitive and the playing is not great either, but this suits the vibe. @1:28 the guitars sound muffled and the stereo effect is odd. I quite like the phasey fx after that. It gets better as you listen to it. I think the best thing about it is the singing, it has this drunken vibe. The arrangement is very repetitive though, especially at the start. I think it should be shorter, which will alleviate the boring repetitiveness of the beginning and I think the vocals should be more prominent.
DavieB
Poster

Postby vegadec » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:51 pm

thanks for your comments and critics. It gives me ideas to improve the song :)

cheers
Vincent
vegadec
Poster