You are here

Would you?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Would you?

Postby dPolo03 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:39 pm

I have a question. With all the new studio monitors that's been coming out. Would you still conduct mixes on the Mackie HR824's?
dPolo03
Poster

Would you?

Postby dPolo03 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:40 pm

If not what studio monitors do you prefer?
dPolo03
Poster

Re: Would you?

Postby feline1 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:48 pm

I wouldn't do mixes on the Mackies, no, cos I don't have any.

(Mackies, that is - not mixes. I have a lot of mixes.)
feline1
Frequent Poster

~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Postby jaminem » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:09 pm

dPolo03 wrote:If not what studio monitors do you prefer?

I sold mine, and replaced with Focal CMS50. Basically because I moved to a smaller room, the Mackies are huge and the bottom end was way too extended for what I needed, and I thought that after 13 odd years things must have moved on and I could get more suitable monitors for less....

My mixes translate better from the CMS50 for whatever reason, although some of that may have to do with better D/A and using a mono Avantone and headphones as alternative reference sources and a right good read of Mike Seniors book.
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave Rowles » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:35 pm

That depends. I have the Mk1 824s and i get great mixes out of them because I know what they sound like in my room and having done loads of other system tests with my mixes I've learnt what works and what doesn't on my system. So I would mix on them because that's what I have and that's what I know.

As to whether there are better monitors out there, quite probably if you've got the money for new. But they work for me and I don't have the money to get anything else, so I work with what I've got. Knowing your system inside and out can sometimes be more beneficial than buying new gear, unless you've got a well treated control room!
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster

http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp

Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Billum » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:42 pm

Personally I found the Mackies to be a bit too bright to my ears, and thought they might be a bit wearing for long periods. I went instead for the Adam P11a's, with the Adam sub, and they all suit my room very well, and mixes on them seem to translate well onto other playback systems.

Of course what it really comes down to is whatever system you get familiar with!
Billum
Regular

Postby dPolo03 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:47 pm

Thank you for your responses. The reason I ask is because I'm somewhat of a beginner I'm mixing engineer. I've worked on a few mixes but I'm starting to get new equipment. I've used the HR824's before and wanted to get some opinions.
dPolo03
Poster

Postby dPolo03 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:56 pm

Billum wrote:Personally I found the Mackies to be a bit too bright to my ears, and thought they might be a bit wearing for long periods. I went instead for the Adam P11a's, with the Adam sub, and they all suit my room very well, and mixes on them seem to translate well onto other playback systems.

Of course what it really comes down to is whatever system you get familiar with!

I definitely understand. I guess what I'm looking for is some monitors that can translate very well. I plan on getting 2 sets of monitors. One that I can mix and translate well and the other for playback. My original plan was to get a pair of Yamaha HS80 & KRK rokit 6 G2.
dPolo03
Poster

Postby jaminem » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:11 pm

dPolo03 wrote:
Billum wrote:Personally I found the Mackies to be a bit too bright to my ears, and thought they might be a bit wearing for long periods. I went instead for the Adam P11a's, with the Adam sub, and they all suit my room very well, and mixes on them seem to translate well onto other playback systems.

I definitely understand. I guess what I'm looking for is some monitors that can translate very well. I plan on getting 2 sets of monitors. One that I can mix and translate well and the other for playback. My original plan was to get a pair of Yamaha HS80 & KRK rokit 6 G2.

That seems daft - to get 2 pairs of budget monitors?
I'd be spending 90% of my budget on the best monitors I could afford and then a single mixcube or some decent cans...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby dPolo03 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:22 pm

That seems daft - to get 2 pairs of budget monitors?
I'd be spending 90% of my budget on the best monitors I could afford and then a single mixcube or some decent cans... [/quote]

Hmmm. That does make more sense :headbang:. That actually expands my choices a little more. Thank you
dPolo03
Poster

Postby jaminem » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:22 pm

dPolo03 wrote:That seems daft - to get 2 pairs of budget monitors?
I'd be spending 90% of my budget on the best monitors I could afford and then a single mixcube or some decent cans...

Hmmm. That does make more sense :headbang:. That actually expands my choices a little more. Thank you [/quote]

My pleasure, but actually before you do anything, I'd buy and read this...

http://www.cambridge-mt.com/MixingSecrets.htm
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby johnny h » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:05 pm

dPolo03 wrote:I have a question. With all the new studio monitors that's been coming out. Would you still conduct mixes on the Mackie HR824's?

No, Mackies are awful monitors, stay well clear! If you are near to London I would recommend going to KMR audio - they have some pretty informed opinions about monitors and you can try the stuff out too.
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby dPolo03 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:30 am

johnny h wrote:
dPolo03 wrote:I have a question. With all the new studio monitors that's been coming out. Would you still conduct mixes on the Mackie HR824's?

No, Mackies are awful monitors, stay well clear! If you are near to London I would recommend going to KMR audio - they have some pretty informed opinions about monitors and you can try the stuff out too.

well the mackie hr824 mk1's was a pretty good set of monitors. I worked on them when i was attending college for mixing projects. But that was a couple of years ago.
dPolo03
Poster

Postby dPolo03 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:08 pm

jaminem wrote:
dPolo03 wrote:That seems daft - to get 2 pairs of budget monitors?

Hmmm. That does make more sense :headbang:. That actually expands my choices a little more. Thank you

My pleasure, but actually before you do anything, I'd buy and read this...

http://www.cambridge-mt.com/MixingSecrets.htm [/quote]

Just purchased the book. 8-)
dPolo03
Poster