You are here

Which monitors to get kick and bass in their place in homestudio.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Which monitors to get kick and bass in their place in homestudio.

Postby akkk » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:29 pm

Hi. I mainly do dance music. Years ago I bought yamaha msp5, cause I was told that small speakers give better results in home environment. Before I had speakers with 8" inch bass cabinet and now when I go back to those old mixes I can see that low end is better in place. Should I go back to bigger speakers or what? Sub? Or somekind of small system to the side of msp5 to check the bass. Thanks!
akkk
Regular

Re: Which monitors to get kick and bass in their place in homestudio.

Postby necromunger » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:47 pm

i went from small monitors to genelec 1038s and that fixed it for me.

just a tad to big for my room

:frown:
necromunger
Regular

Postby akkk » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:49 pm

akkk
Regular

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:15 pm

akkk wrote:Hi. I mainly do dance music. Years ago I bought yamaha msp5, cause I was told that small speakers give better results in home environment.

Strange advice! Who told you that? I can't see any reason to PREFER small speakers in amy environment, though there may be practical reasons you can't have big ones.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:38 am

PW often argues -- with some logical reasoning behind his claims -- that in a small room (typical home studio) it often pays to use a smaller speaker with a naturally curtailed low frequenecy response.

The reduced LF output will excite fewer room modes -- which will always be a major problem in a small room -- and thus produce a better balanced impression of the mix as a whole, free from the huge peaks and troughs that room modes would impose through the bottom octaves. He also advises leaving the bottom end alone as far as EQ is concerned.

With larger speakers, the bass response will inevitably be pretty lumpy, and most amateurs then spend ages trying to compress and EQ the bass to smooth things out, when what they're actually doing is making the mix worse in an effort to treat the room sound!

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby akkk » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:08 pm

Thanks Hugh!
akkk
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:28 am

Possibly the problem with large speakers in small rooms is more down to the current design fashion for highly tuned ported speakers where the bass is plentiful but uncontrolled. I've used a pair of 15" Tannoys in a variety of rooms, large and small, and never felt that they were too large for the room but their bass seems much more controlled than some modern speakers.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk