You are here

Could you guys check out my production? Electronica.

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Could you guys check out my production? Electronica.

Postby Paggos » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:32 am

Jubilant by Paggos

Please, if you will, give some feedback if at all possible. I'll change some parts that i think need some fine-tuning, such as the build, and the pitch of the first lead...hm, but yeah, thanks a lot for your feedback, it goes a long way and springs up some new ideas!

-Brandon :beamup:
Paggos
Poster

Re: Could you guys check out my production? Electronica.

Postby johnny h » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:38 am

Makes absolutely no sense to me!
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby Jonnypopisical » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:19 pm

music to put you in a bad mood
Jonnypopisical
Frequent Poster

Mac Pro, Logic Pro, lots of software and 17 hard drives!

Postby OneWorld » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:13 pm

Oh dear!

Did anyone see that documentary about Bill Withers that was on TV over the weekend? he came out with a great quote. "On the journey to wonderful, we all pass through 'alright', and we should take a good look around and get used to it, as 'alright' is about as far as many of us will ever get"

He wasn't being pompous by the way, he was making the point that he felt very lucky

Am sorry Brandon, it is difficult to say whether the mix is good as the music itself sets my teeth on edge, it sounds like one of those irritating mobile phone ring tones, but goes on and on and on and on, who/what are your influences, demented fleas?

Go listen to some exemplary electronica, even going back as far as Vangelis, Moroder, Sakamoto and make comparisons
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby Paggos » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:48 pm

Different genres, different opinions, i wasn't asking for idiotic opinions, i was asking for facts regarding to the content of the music, but i guess everybody has their own opinion.
Paggos
Poster

Postby Chevytraveller » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:06 pm

Ok.. trying to stay helpful here (although I can understand the views already expressed)

The lead line is way too high in the mix.. there is definitely a high annoyance level with this sound and tone, so I would pull it back somewhat so it's not poking me in the face.

There is also a sense of disconnect with the track.. the elements dont flow into one another and there is a discordant feel with the other elements in the track..
try working with different harmonic progressions until you find something that works and flows.. if the track flows harmonically, then the production side becomes a lot easier

hope this is a bit more constructive for you.. keep going with it

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster

Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy,

Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Vostok, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S.. Eurocrack disease

Postby Paggos » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:54 pm

Okay, thanks, but it does harmonize later on...it just doesn't glue because the mix is so bad...and towards the end i got a bit lazy, but i do agree with your suggestions, the second one im wondering what i should do to better harmonize the track...without doing a cliche pop progression...idk.
Paggos
Poster

Postby johnny h » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:33 pm

It says on the soundcloud 'premaster'. Please, please, please do not get this mastered.
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby The Korff » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:58 pm

Give this guy a listen — I'd say it's well worth checking out if you want an example of contemporary electronic music done really well.

Cheers!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster

I AM KORFF

Postby The Elf » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:13 pm

It's certainly an odd piece of music. From a brief listen it sounds like a lot of loops running and someone muting/un-muting them at intervals - and not always in time.

Sorry if this seems cruel, but hopefully you can appreciate me being honest with you. Personally I'd put this one down to experience and begin another project where you can put into practice what you've learned from undertaking this one.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby OneWorld » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:44 pm

johnny h wrote:It says on the soundcloud 'premaster'. Please, please, please do not get this mastered.

LOL - what a hoot!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:46 pm

Paggos wrote:Different genres, different opinions, i wasn't asking for idiotic opinions, i was asking for facts regarding to the content of the music, but i guess everybody has their own opinion.

You asked for comment, you got it. If you're start calling people idiots, I'd forget the music industry, because it is ruthlessly candid. Maybe you're not ready for that yet?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby johnny h » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:54 pm

OneWorld wrote:
Paggos wrote:Different genres, different opinions, i wasn't asking for idiotic opinions, i was asking for facts regarding to the content of the music, but i guess everybody has their own opinion.

You asked for comment, you got it. If you're start calling people idiots, I'd forget the music industry, because it is ruthlessly candid. Maybe you're not ready for that yet?

Understatement of the year.

Paggy, you are actually very lucky that you have had some honest answers here. Quite often people will either ignore bad music or be polite to a fault by criticising minor details which have no bearing on how terrible the actual music is.

If you react to this with oh 'fff uuu im a genius you dont understand, its just the mix, or equipment etc' then just give up straight away. Honestly, you take that bit of music to ANYONE who won't lie to your face and it will not get you anywhere.

I wish you every success but you need to go right back to the drawing board. Learn about harmony, structure, rhythm and sound design. Its an extremely competitive market right now and you have to be damn good at all of those things.
johnny h
Frequent Poster

Postby Paggos » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:22 am

Alright, well can a trusty admin please delete this thread, and my account...i don't appreciate being bashed everywhere, i already know i suck...oh well...
Paggos
Poster

Postby Fealow » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:45 am

So glad I got over this sought of thing while I was still starting out and lucky I was making music before I was an audio engineer.

It takes time to learn anything Pugga, I think this is something you need to understand first. Think of it this way... The time that passes from now until you turn around and think "I really regret not continuing with that" will be upon you before you know it, but the time spent improving and learning does not have to be any longer (although it may seem it) We learn most from our mistakes afterall, it's quick andeasy to make a mistake, but it takes time make many mistakes much like learning .

So what would you rather have? A nasty regret or some wonderful knowledge?
Fealow
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:48 am

Sorry Paggos, but no.

SOS forums are a public forum, always have been and always will be. We aren't in the habit of deleting threads and deleting accounts just because people don't like the outcomes. And be honest, would you be asking for both if the response had been 100% positive? Of course not.

You came here asking for feedback, and that is what you received. And, by it's nature, this is a forum populated by people who have a serious interest in music and production. So you shouldn't be surprised when that feedback is critical, not in the negative sense but in an informed sense. Even if that feedback feels tough and personal when you are on the receiving end.

It may well be that you are confident in your direction and that the people here 'just don't get it'. In which case, best of luck. In time this thread will drop down the list and effectively disappear. But it won't be deleted, because whether you like the outcome or not a bunch of people gave up their free time to listen to your work and comment on it as requested. And they deserve better than to have their efforts disregarded and thrown away on a whim.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar

OC/DC - All the right notes in exactly the right places.

Postby stollypop » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:44 am

Oh come on, i really want to hear this track and it's gone.
stollypop
Regular

Postby Pangloss » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:01 am

I agree. In fact I've never wanted to hear a track so much in my life.

I'm not saying that because I want to make fun - I bet I would have really liked it.

I'm not the kind to start throwing chairs at a Rites of Spring premiere.
Pangloss
Regular

'These are my principles and if you don't like them...well, I have others' (Groucho Marx) www.ownlittleworld.net/tunes.html

Postby The Elf » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:05 am

Paggos wrote:Alright, well can a trusty admin please delete this thread, and my account...i don't appreciate being bashed everywhere, i already know i suck...oh well...

That a woefully misguided reaction.

You'll have to overcome this attitude to get anywhere in this (or any!) business.

If you want open, *honest* professional opinion that can help you develop and grow into what you want to be then take it on the chin and accept that people are taking time and trouble to HELP YOU!

Come back, talk to us and explain what you're trying to do and how you're doing it - that way you'll get somewhere. Taking your ball home will achieve nothing at all, and that's a shame, because you obviously care about what you're doing.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Fealow » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:08 am

I'm curious to hear it as well. I did however listen to some of the tracks on his soundcloud. Now I don't claim to be a "professional" or the best at what I do, but he does seem to lack the fundamentals of how to produce and arrange a mix. I'm not judging though as I have no idea how long this aspiring individual has been practising in this field of audio. But I can also understand where the other posters are coming from in this thread.

We were all there at some point in our lives...
Fealow
Regular

Postby Pangloss » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:28 am

Paggos mate. You must have really screwed up on "Jubilant" because all the other stuff on Soundcloud is pretty mint IMO (and I am not a regular electronica aficionado).

Think about it - when was the last time you heard of a piece of music getting reactions this strong? That's the best reason on Earth to keep doing what you do. Just go even further.
Pangloss
Regular

'These are my principles and if you don't like them...well, I have others' (Groucho Marx) www.ownlittleworld.net/tunes.html

Postby Pangloss » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:37 am

Shidthebed!

The piano solo on "Dreams" is GENIUS
Pangloss
Regular

Postby stollypop » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:09 am

Paggos can you hear us, where is your track???????
stollypop
Regular

Postby Richie Royale » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:22 am

I listened to the track last night. I wouldn't class it as electronica; it is more like house music, with a standard 4/4 beat and looping sections which build up and drop out. The problem was, as highlighted by The Elf, that it lacked formula; parts just dropped in and out without working to a pattern or any sort of crescendo. Some parts seemed to have notes which clashed and didn't sound right. Some of the loops clashed with others as well. The lead part had an 8-Bit sound to it, but the music wasn't in the 8-Bit genre.

It seems that the OP won't be returning though, so it would seem pointless to put any advice for him on how to improve his track. If he returns I am happy to give some pointers.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby Paggos » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:51 pm

Yeah, i hear you guys...and i understand. I think half the reason my tracks don't sound that well anymore, is my lack of organization, and my randomness within everything.
I have learned a lot from this project, and it isn't harmonically correct, i see that...i also see this track spawning about 3 different tracks..which is what i have done.
Thank you guys so much for the feedback, I just get very frustrated because electronic music is the only thing i've really known, i've only been making music for around 2.5 years. So, i don't know, maybe it's just one of those projects that you learn from, as a 17 year old, i don't take everything in the best of ways...but i love what i do, and i will continue to improve. :beamup:
Paggos
Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:02 pm

Respect to you, mate. I think you just took an important step forward. 8-)

Keep on making music, keep believing in yourself and keep taking the criticism. Everyone's opinion is valid, even if it's not one you share.

My main advice to you now is to not labour over your existing material, but move on. You'll get better and better if you stick with it, but it can become self-defeating to keep hammering on the same door for too long.

Tell us a little about you how you write/record your material.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Paggos » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:40 pm

The Elf wrote:Respect to you, mate. I think you just took an important step forward. 8-)

Keep on making music, keep believing in yourself and keep taking the criticism. Everyone's opinion is valid, even if it's not one you share.

My main advice to you now is to not labour over your existing material, but move on. You'll get better and better if you stick with it, but it can become self-defeating to keep hammering on the same door for too long.

Tell us a little about you how you write/record your material.

I either take field recordings or external synths...or my monotron to make sounds, sometimes i use presets to get a basis, and tweak around...i'm just now getting structured and i think my stuff is sounding organized, im actually working on a new song now http://soundcloud.com/paggos/youre-doing-it-right-oh-wait but it's weird and not structured yet, just a loop. I try my best, but i absolutely hate being cliche...i like doing my own thing, but i guess i have to do my own thing, with some sort of connection with other people :P Also, i have really bad ADD, and i think you can hear that in my music...i make it for fun, and i like bouncy rhythms :)
Paggos
Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:41 pm

That sounds a like a good approach. It's great that you're keen to avoid cliches, but it might also be useful for you to try to recreate and understand some of those cliches as an experiment. After all, it's easier to break the rules if you know what the rules are - else you could end up just barking at cars.

It's also too easy to use 'rule breaking/avoiding cliches' as an excuse for not really having a grasp of what you're doing - and people will see through that. As engineers/producers we do hear this quite a lot and it can make us cynical. Do the ground work and know your art.

Keep the faith and keep at it. You'll need to develop patience with yourself and allow yourself to make mistakes - but always be ready for that moment when the spark happens and you hit that perfect moment. When you do you'll know it.

I also listened to some of your other stuff. Although I can't say I'm madly keen on all of it I can hear that you are developing a style of your own - all you need to do is perfect it.

Best of luck and keep coming back. 8-)
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Paggos » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:05 am

Appreciate it :) actually, if you will, could you PM me your msn, email, or etc? Would be nice to keep in touch :)
Paggos
Poster

Postby jrbcm » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:09 am

What an astonishingly negative response this thread has been...

Amazing really...I mean, some of the dross I've listened to from middle aged men around these parts, and a 17 year old comes along with all this skill and potential and Pangloss is the only one who seems to get it.

Oh well - I love it too Paggos...
jrbcm
Regular

Next