You are here

M/S mixing

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

M/S mixing

Postby babaorum » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:51 am

Hello,

When you mix in M/S mode with for example a brainworks digital_v2.
Do you use systematically a high pass filter on the S part ? (because it's the high frequencies which make the stereo space more than the lows no ?)

thanks
baba
babaorum
Poster

Re: M/S mixing

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:55 am

Mid-Side or M/S is a signal processing technique, not a 'mix' technique. You don't mix signals together using MS, but you might process signals, or even an entire mix track, using MS.

Processing in the mid-side domain allows you to alter sounds around the centre of the normal stereo image with some independence from those at the edges. By using an equaliser on the Side signal you can alter the perceived stereo width at different frequencies, and by using a high-pass filter to remove bass from the side you will constrain all the bass to the centre of the image, which is a technique employed when mastering vinyl records, for example.

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby babaorum » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:14 am

Yes I talked about the process of an entire mixing by a brainworx, but this plug-in allows you to define a range of mono signal (mono maker button). Is it necessary to add a high pass filter on the S side ?
babaorum
Poster

Postby chavernac » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:29 pm

In this example, Fab actually adds meat to the sides... Puremix_MS
I think it s kinda cool. At the contrary to popular belief, adding low mids to the side gives a sider stereo image, IMHO.
chavernac
Poster

Postby babaorum » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:38 pm

fine link thanks,
yes I agree but it's true that low is less directive (directional ?) than medium and high.
That's because I asked. Maybe low in Side add 'Thickness' no ?
babaorum
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:03 pm

A lot of music is produced with the bass deliberately in mono, either because that allows vinyl records to be cut louder and track more easily, or because both speakers are outputting equal amounts of bass, meaning more bass than if only one channel is doing it.

However, it does not have to be that way, and there are plenty of early stereo records with drums and bass in one channel and vocals in another, or something like that...

Also, enhancing the width of low frequencies helps to improve the sense of 'spatiousness' -- particularly when the recording was made with a coincident mic technique or pan-potted mono techniques.

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Zukan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:49 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
However, it does not have to be that way, and there are plenty of early stereo records with drums and bass in one channel and vocals in another, or something like that..
Hugh

Yeah, that's what led to me spending a stint at the Colney...
Zukan

Samplecraze   Stretch That Note Masterclasses

Postby babaorum » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:03 pm

Cool for these informations, yes ok so the low is necessary even in the Sides.
Eq is a great great difficulty I think, plugs are provided a lot of tools but sometimes it's 'touchy' especially tools like brainworks I need still work to use it more easy ...
(sorry I'm not fluent in english I'm a frenchy)
babaorum
Poster