You are here

Decent, small (approx. 5" Woofer) monitors for small room

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Decent, small (approx. 5" Woofer) monitors for small room

Postby abstractjuz » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:13 pm

I'm moving into a small (2m x 3m) office/studio/work space soon and I worry that my beloved Event TR8s will be complete overkill - and physically just too big - so I'm considering something smaller.

I don't often work at really loud volumes these days but enough headroom that I can crank it every now and then would be good. I do need to listen to a wide variety of audio critically for my work so a reasonably accurate response is important - but ideally, I'd also like to be able to use the same monitors for when I'm just listening to music for pleasure.

Accurate bass response is also important - er, because I like bass. Obviously, I realize I'm talking about a 5" woofer - so maybe something I could pair with a matched subwoofer?

I have a set of JBL Control 1s which I currently use for general listening (which I'd sell, along with the TR8s) so ideally - I'd like something much better than them.

Ideally, I'd like to keep it at <£500.00 - but if there was something worth considering within approx. £100 of that, I'd love to hear about it.

Suggestions? Much appreciated.
abstractjuz
Poster

Re: Decent, small (approx. 5" Woofer) monitors for small room

Postby ConcertinaChap » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:04 am

Ebay? I got my pair of Genelec 8030a's for £500 there and they suit me very well.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Frequent Poster

Making music: Eagle Alley ... Recording music: Mr Punch's Studio  

Number 1 in a field of 1.

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:46 am

Came across this the other day re: KRK VXT4s.. (you'll need to scroll down the page):

Enlightened Hand's Review of KRKs

Liz is a seasoned and reasoned contributor here. Her opinion is worth taking on-board.

HTH
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:47 am

Just over budget at £599, but compact and well recommended.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/blue-sky-media-desk-2.1/1241
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:49 am

I'm not sure that I go along with the idea of speakers being too big for a room - although some of the over tuned reflex designs around today could be a problem. I've happily used monitors with 15" drivers in a room the size of yours.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby sambrox » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:53 am

Richie Royale wrote:Just over budget at £599, but compact and well recommended.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/blue-sky-media-desk-2.1/1241
+1 You can quite often find them on eBay for around £300, too!
sambrox
Regular

Postby abstractjuz » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:44 pm

Thanks for the input on this so far - much appreciated.

So far, these have been recommended:

Adam: A5X
Blue Sky: Media Desk 2.1
Genelec: 8030
KRK: VXT4

Any comments on that as a short list?

Thanks again.
abstractjuz
Poster

Postby jaminem » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:25 pm

Focal CMS50
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Postby chris... » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:22 pm

abstractjuz wrote: a matched subwoofer?
Hmm - not sure how well a sub will work in a room that size.
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby abstractjuz » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:43 pm

jaminem wrote:Focal CMS50

A few people have suggested the CMS 50s - but like the Genelec 8030s - I'd have to find a 2nd hand pair to get them within my budget.

chris... wrote:Hmm - not sure how well a sub will work in a room that size.

I'm not sure either. I wouldn't get the sub straight away but if I buy satellites that have the option of a matched sub, then, when I know the room and the monitors a bit better and I feel I have the need for it (and can afford it...), I can consider it.

There's a really good article on SOS about using subs in smaller rooms: Here
abstractjuz
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:54 pm

The idea of using speakers with small 'woofers' in a small room is something Paul White has been promoting for years, and I think with some merit. Small rooms tend to have severe modal problems, so if the speaker doesn't generate low bass you won't excite the room as much and what bass you do have might be more uniform... That's the theory anyway

of course, if you subscribe to this theory a subwoofer would be a bad thing... And they often are in small rooms...

But as James says, if you treat the room reasonably well, particularly in respect of bass trapping there is no problem with using speakers with a more extended bandwidth.

My recommendation would be t keep the Events and spend the money on bass trapping. You know your speakers already, so you avoid the learning curve of new speakers, and they are worth more to you than their second hand price.

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby abstractjuz » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:30 am

Thanks for your advice on this Hugh - it's appreciated.

Hugh Robjohns wrote:The idea of using speakers with small 'woofers' in a small room is something Paul White has been promoting for years, and I think with some merit. Small rooms tend to have severe modal problems, so if the speaker doesn't generate low bass you won't excite the room as much and what bass you do have might be more uniform... That's the theory anyway

That's pretty much what I'd assumed.

Hugh Robjohns wrote: of course, if you subscribe to this theory a subwoofer would be a bad thing... And they often are in small rooms... But as James says, if you treat the room reasonably well, particularly in respect of bass trapping there is no problem with using speakers with a more extended bandwidth.

Does it make sense then that if I can get away with larger speakers with extended low frequency in a well treated room (and I'll definitely be paying attention to bass traps and diffusion, etc.) - then I could also get away with smaller satellites and a sub (used carefully and sensibly)? - or is that like comparing apples and oranges?

Part of the challenge here is just the physical size of the TR8s. I was hoping that with smaller satellites I'd have more flexibility about their placement and I could put a sub on a decoupling platform under a desk or something. Does that make sense?

Unfortunately, I'm not designing a recording studio - the speaker placement has to fit in with a lot of other work-related kit so there's got to be some trade-offs.

Hugh Robjohns wrote:My recommendation would be t keep the Events and spend the money on bass trapping. You know your speakers already, so you avoid the learning curve of new speakers, and they are worth more to you than their second hand price.

Yes, the resale value of the TR8s is the other big issue here...

Well, this is proving to be as challenging as I thought it would be!

Thanks again - much appreciated.
abstractjuz
Poster