You are here

Reason: copy pattern to track problem

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Reason: copy pattern to track problem

Postby jonsug » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:57 pm

hi
using reason 4, say i got a thor synth, into eq, into matrix,
im arranging, so i select the thor in arrange page, then copy
matrix pattern to thor track.

now when i play back the arrange page, the sound has changed,
like its gone up in pitch. i turn off the pattern in matrix, same problem.

read the manual, it says cv curve is not copied, i thought that was it,
but its not.

the whole sound kinda changes.

i just created a thor, then matrix, then eq in middle of them, when the pattern plays in matrix it sounds like i want it, something changes when i copy it to track.

curve cv on back of matrix is not connected, i dont think its curve related as i made a duplicate copy of pattern and changed cv settings, it didnt make a diff to my "wanted" sound.

so im thinking i record its audio into logic, but reason rewired track is not record enabling. so i have to solve problem in reason, as i cant export audio from matrix pattern.

the change in sound, is like the bass end has gone, the melody is still there, but sounds transposed, an octave, or some synth parameter changed too, sound is diff, and the pitch is messed up, could be in key, but it does sound wrong.

clip on matrix track produces silence. unless the matrix is running. i wanna turn off matrix and run sequencer, to arrange and export audio.

when i run sequencer and matrix, i get both, the wanted sound, and the unwanted sound.

thought it might be automation ive accidently recorded, but nothing is moving in thor, and theres no automation track.

tested:
new reason song, make a thor, make a matrix, randomize pattern, copy to track, turn off matrix, the sound is very diff when played via sequencer. maybe it has something to do with the "run" in the title of the preset? issue is not there with other presets.

i just want to use the sound im working with (matrix + thor), like i have,
then use it to make a track, ie arrange it, export audio etc. you should be able
to do this, if the sound is sounding like that at one stage, it should be useable in
sequencer....

anyone know how to solve this?

if not...gotta be a workaround.

maybe exporting midi file, into logic, playing back thor via rewire.
just tried this, same problem, same wrong sounding affect.
audio hijack application maybe, record the audio of reason, import into logic and arrange. sigh.
or assign thor to its own logic track, and control it via mute etc on logic channel strip, whatever is playing thru logic should bounce to audio.... i think...

thanks for any help given.
jonsug
Regular

Re: Reason: copy pattern to track problem

Postby Chevytraveller » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:17 pm

It does sound odd, that.. can you save a copy of the song or combine the elements into a .cmb patch, then I could try to reproduce the fault here?

Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster

Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy,

Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Vostok, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S.. Eurocrack disease

Postby jonsug » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:28 pm

thanks for replying.

try it yourself, new reason song, thor, percutron [run] preset, matrix, randomize pattern,
copy it to sequencer. Ive done this with a new reason song, and same problem.
jonsug
Regular

Postby Chevytraveller » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:50 pm

Seems to be behaving ok on Reason 6.. which version are you on?.. that only thing I can think is that patch uses some quite complex velocity->Pitch mapping which can produce some quite wild results which slight changes in velocity.
Have you tried the same technique with a different patch?..

Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster

Hard: Emulator II, E-Synth, Roland Promars, Obie TVS-1, Waldorf Q, AS Vostok, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-S.. Eurocrack disease

Postby jonsug » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:01 pm

im on reason 4.
you tried it on the same patch that im using?
yeah i tried it on other thor patches, the problem was not there,
its only on the patch that i said, note the word "run" in preset name.

think rewire into logic solves it.
just ran thor + matrix into logic, bounce down a coupla bars to audio in logic,
import the audio into logic and arrange away. yeh just did this test, its a workaround.

thanks for trying/helping
jonsug
Regular

Postby Chevytraveller » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:00 pm

Might be a bug in 4.. I suspect it may be a velocity discrepancy when pasting to track.. it's shown up by the fact that patch has a lot of velocity modulation input
It's certainly ok in 6..

good luck with it

Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster