You are here

dB drop with sp/dif?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

dB drop with sp/dif?

Postby SableTones » Tue May 15, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi.
when i do mixdown to my stereo track (Yamaha AW2400) i simultaneously send the stereo output to a HHB 882 Cd burner. This is via SP/DIF. There is a noticeable drop in recorded level on the HHB. Is this normal (i think i read about it somewhere?)
I could send the data again after the mix is down to stereo, this would not then affect the mixdown level of the stereo track....however, my question.....theoretically where is the best place to increase digital gain?

At the source/output or at the recorder? I have been doing it at the source as it is easier to control the varying levels.

any advice appreciated.
SableTones
Regular

Re: dB drop with sp/dif?

Postby James Perrett » Tue May 15, 2012 1:43 pm

There shouldn't be any level change due to the s/pdif connection. If you can mix down to a 24 bit file within the AW2400 then it would be best to increase the level of that file inside the AW2400 after the mixdown. If you can't save to 24 bit files you will need to adjust the master level on the AW2400 as you mix to ensure that you have a reasonable level on the CD. When mixing to a 16 bit medium like DAT or CD I always try to have peaks no lower than -6dBFS (but NEVER over 0dBFS).

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk