You are here

Lend Me Your Ears Please

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Lend Me Your Ears Please

Postby OneWorld » Thu May 17, 2012 12:28 pm

I have mixed and uploaded 2 of my tracks. I have used a little compression and much the same treatment on both tracks, but one sounds louder than the other, so if I pout them on CD, there's a leap in volume when I move from one track to the next, but as you'll see from the wav graphic in Soundcloud, they both look the same.

The 2 tracks are

CantGetStarted and ItsAnOrdinaryLife

Acoustimax on Soundcloud

Any general comments on the mixing would be welcome thanks
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Re: Lend Me Your Ears Please

Postby Jonnypopisical » Thu May 17, 2012 2:16 pm

Hi - Don't worry about the mixes at this stage - look at the song writing and performances...the mixes can wait..

:smirk:
Jonnypopisical
Frequent Poster

Mac Pro, Logic Pro, lots of software and 17 hard drives!

Postby OneWorld » Thu May 17, 2012 5:58 pm

I already dealt with that bit
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby Jonnypopisical » Thu May 17, 2012 9:21 pm

don't think so
Jonnypopisical
Frequent Poster

Mac Pro, Logic Pro, lots of software and 17 hard drives!

Postby stollypop » Fri May 18, 2012 2:28 am

OneWorld wrote:I already dealt with that bit

Who wrote your lyrics, Noel Gallaghers 5yr old neice? :D
stollypop
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Fri May 18, 2012 2:32 am

Yep, quite good isn't she, it must run in the family
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby stollypop » Fri May 18, 2012 2:43 am

OneWorld wrote:Yep, quite good isn't she, it must run in the family

Yes, she and her family would be the best in the world if every other lyric writer in the world was dead. :bouncy:
stollypop
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Fri May 18, 2012 3:38 am

stollypop wrote:
OneWorld wrote:Yep, quite good isn't she, it must run in the family

Yes, she and her family would be the best in the world if every other lyric writer in the world was dead. :bouncy:

That wouldn't include you though would it! LOL
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby stollypop » Fri May 18, 2012 5:20 am

On a serious note, you should really take those poor excuses for music down and just stop. McDonalds are hiring i hear.
stollypop
Regular

Postby sambrox » Fri May 18, 2012 8:07 am

Holy crap, what's with all the hostility? Not very constructive...
sambrox
Regular

Postby Guest » Fri May 18, 2012 9:27 am

stollypop wrote:On a serious note, you should really take those poor excuses for music down and just stop. McDonalds are hiring i hear.

twit.

Postby Airfix » Fri May 18, 2012 9:58 am

I lent my ears to 'Cant get started'. Nice breezy track with potential. I agree with Jonnypopisical that the tracking is not finished here. The bass is doing some strange things. It's a little too active.

I'd go back to the bass and the drums - it is way too busy in parts - needs rethinking.
The guitars lack body - perhaps they were Di'd and this process has left them a bit characterless. I'd think you might consider imbuing the guitars with tube emulation perhaps - gentle distortion might help.

If you are happy with the tracking as is, I would suggest bringing the main vocal forward - try a little compression here. The backing vocals are louder than the main vocal as it stands. That needs to be fixed.
Airfix
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Fri May 18, 2012 1:45 pm

sambrox wrote:Holy crap, what's with all the hostility? Not very constructive...

Whatever floats his billabong, even the Beatles had doors slammed in their faces by the experts, so I hope I don't get mistaken for someone that gives a damn. The first job of music is not impress but express, and if someone likes it, great, if not..oh dear what a shame never mind onto the next song.

As it happens, I don't think the lyrics could be described even remotely as Dylanesque, but nI have been an instrumentalist, but thought I'd have a pop at singing as well.

There's on ething I take comfort from,I have more replies than anyone else as regards the listen posts - and there's no such thing as bad publicity and I am a sucker for a bit of robust banter as much as the next man/woman/whatever lol

BTW - Sam Brox, are you in anyway related to the infamous Victor Brox/Kyla Brox?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Fri May 18, 2012 1:48 pm

Bob Shoes wrote:
stollypop wrote:On a serious note, you should really take those poor excuses for music down and just stop. McDonalds are hiring i hear.

twit.

And I hope he comes into Macs when am working there - he'll know me, I'll be happily singing away in the background, gobbing in his burger LOL
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby BJG145 » Fri May 18, 2012 1:55 pm

Airfix wrote:I lent my ears to 'Cant get started'....I'd go back to the bass and the drums - it is way too busy in parts - needs rethinking...I would suggest bringing the main vocal forward
(When I listened to it on basic computer speakers, first impression was that the vocals could come up, and the drum riff that kicks in at 30secs could go down, or be replaced by something different.)
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Fri May 18, 2012 1:56 pm

Airfix wrote:I lent my ears to 'Cant get started'. Nice breezy track with potential. I agree with Jonnypopisical that the tracking is not finished here. The bass is doing some strange things. It's a little too active.

I'd go back to the bass and the drums - it is way too busy in parts - needs rethinking.
The guitars lack body - perhaps they were Di'd and this process has left them a bit characterless. I'd think you might consider imbuing the guitars with tube emulation perhaps - gentle distortion might help.

If you are happy with the tracking as is, I would suggest bringing the main vocal forward - try a little compression here. The backing vocals are louder than the main vocal as it stands. That needs to be fixed.

Thanks for that, yes, the bass is too busy, a habit I cannot get out of, used to play solo acoustic Spanish guitar with my fingers running amock and I play the bass in the same way, as if it is a solo intstrument, and I keep forgetting the bass is meant to underpin the rhythm, not do a 3 minute bass solo!

The steel strung guitar I have is only a cheap Yammy, and no matter what I try, I cannot get it sounding as good as one does when I listen to professionally recorded music.

I am not a vocalist, as demonstrated, but I trundle along in my happy liddle way. But try and stretch the range, so I am not stuck within one octave, I hear proper singers and they go all over the place and make it lyrical, tuneful and phrased just bob on. And then I try to do 2/3 part harmony, well, that's a work in progress too!

But again thanks for yuor critique, as in truth, it kinda confirmed what I felt already.

Of course my mates say "Wow that's brill" and they say it again if I buy them another pint! I supose I owe you a pint as well now - fame and fortiune, it wasn't supposed to go this way!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby sambrox » Fri May 18, 2012 2:28 pm

OneWorld wrote:BTW - Sam Brox, are you in anyway related to the infamous Victor Brox/Kyla Brox?

Yup. They're my dad and little sister, respectively.
sambrox
Regular

Postby OneWorld » Fri May 18, 2012 3:11 pm

A exhalted music heritage then! the number of times he rocked the joint at the famed Slurrey Arms is beyond measure, he was world famous in Glossop! - well way beyond there of course
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Postby stollypop » Fri May 18, 2012 9:55 pm

Oh come on, i was being Simon Cowell.

And absolutely NO SINGING when frying those burgers, especially your songs.
stollypop
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Sat May 19, 2012 12:52 am

stollypop wrote:Oh come on, i was being Simon Cowell.

And absolutely NO SINGING when frying those burgers, especially your songs.

And one Simon Cowell is more than sufficient. Consider the market saturated already, and in future bear in mind that things don't over the same in print as they do in person.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar

OC/DC - All the right notes in exactly the right places.

Postby shufflebeat » Sat May 19, 2012 9:59 am

stollypop wrote:Oh come on, i was being Simon Cowell.

Dear Mr Pop

There are quite clearly defined rules regarding the use of unacceptable language on these fora. If you cannot conduct yourself accordingly I will be obliged to raise your behaviour with the appropriate body.

Thank you.

p.s. what's with the Crass logo?

OP, I like your stuff and agree with the constructive comments already laid out.

Keep up the good work.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sat May 19, 2012 11:46 am

On the first track I don't think those drums work at all, too 90's ravey and in your face for the track imo (Not to mention sounding rather dated and flat)

Bass is too lumpy and just doesn't sound right, is it a synth? To me it's occupying the wrong bit in the mix, too mid rangey and loud

BV's sound out of tune/key in a quite a few places

Before coming in with the drums after you fixed them you could try some strings with some verb

I'd just start again, as some one said I wouldn't worry about the mixing at this stage and concentrate harder with the song writing and recording.. Sorry if that's a bit harsh
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby stollypop » Sat May 19, 2012 11:17 pm

shufflebeat wrote:
Dear Mr Pop

There are quite clearly defined rules regarding the use of unacceptable language on these fora. If you cannot conduct yourself accordingly I will be obliged to raise your behaviour with the appropriate body.

Thank you.

Shut up, no one likes a grass.
stollypop
Regular

Postby stollypop » Sat May 19, 2012 11:28 pm

vinyl_junkie wrote:

I'd just start again, as some one said I wouldn't worry about the mixing at this stage and concentrate harder with the song writing and recording.. Sorry if that's a bit harsh

How can honesty be 'a bit harsh'? Are we to lie to him? No matter how much you dress up a dog turd it's still a dog turd.

Someone asked what the 'Crass logo was about' apart from being a great band one of the many things Crass believed in was freedom of speech.
stollypop
Regular

Postby shufflebeat » Sat May 19, 2012 11:44 pm

stollypop wrote:
Someone asked what the 'Crass logo was about' apart from being a great band one of the many things Crass believed in was freedom of speech.

I think you'll find they also sounded a trifle... raw. God help them if they had come here looking for constructive criticism.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

I don't know much but I'm happy to share my ignorance with anyone who can use it.

Postby stollypop » Sun May 20, 2012 12:55 am

shufflebeat wrote:
stollypop wrote:

I think you'll find they also sounded a trifle... raw. God help them if they had come here looking for constructive criticism.

You're right there, shot down and pissed on i reckon, then probably banned for bad language and having a opinion that differed from the Sound on Sound norm.
stollypop
Regular

Postby shufflebeat » Sun May 20, 2012 8:15 am

The advice from regulars who deal with all walks of musical life in their day jobs would usually be along the lines of:

"are you really aiming for that guitar sound, it does mask the lyrics?"

"there is clipping at 2:09, you may want to rethink your arrangement"

"your room needs duvets, don't spend money on expensive toys."

Most people around here are music lovers in all it's forms while having a special interest and experience in a particular area. Generally if they don't have anything constructive to add - they don't.

There are occasionally comments like you describe but they are usually trolls and tend to be ignored.
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster

Postby BJG145 » Sun May 20, 2012 8:52 am

It's An Ordinary Life...

Just listened through a couple of times on headphones.

It cuts in abruptly; sounds like the front of the waveform has been cut off. Could do with a brief introduction, or just hearing the inital attack of the instruments.

Sounds like most stuff except the strings and backing vocals is in the centre. I think there's room to spread things out a bit more; eg maybe push the guitar right a bit, spread out the drumkit.

Interesting melody and harmony lines on the vocals, though it would benefit from some tuning in places. Eg, "See it through" at 1.10 goes slightly flat. Tuning would keep the thing snappy and upbeat. I'd also say that I'd like to hear it sung with more passion and enthusiasm; it sounds like the singer is either concentrating too hard or worrying about the neighbours. Needs to let go more. The vocal is inevitably the thing people zone in on, and it needs to sound as good as you can possibly make it. I generally go for feel over pitch, since you can fix pitch but you can't fix feel. Sing it through three or four times with feeling, comp it, and tune it.

Some imaginative changes from 1.30 to 2.00. I like where you're going with the vocal and string arrangements, and nice guitar playing, but the drums need attention. Drums are the engine of the track, and programmed drums need to be handled with care or they can undermine everything else. I think these sound a bit too busy, and somehow too lightweight. (The style, not just the tone. Go easy on the bouncy keyboard backing too.)

The robotic three-snare-and-cymbal repeated at 1.03 and 1.10 is an example of what I don't like about the drums...sounds too Casio. Any chance of working with a real drummer to get some ideas...?
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby Airfix » Sun May 20, 2012 9:44 am

Your continuing irrelevant posts are low justifications for your 'cruel but fair' attitude wrapped up in your honest opinion - kiss my ass .. You are a bully stollypop!
Airfix
Frequent Poster

Postby OneWorld » Mon May 21, 2012 10:02 am

Airfix wrote:Your continuing irrelevant posts are low justifications for your 'cruel but fair' attitude wrapped up in your honest opinion - kiss my ass .. You are a bully stollypop!

There was amongst the posts a claim to be Simon Cowell'ish. I have a lot of respect for Simon Cowell as it happens, yes he pans people's efforts ruthlessly, but when he says something is rubbish, he can say why he thinks it bad - "out of tune, timing etc" he can offer an objective critique as well as sounding off.

So anyone who just blows off for the sake of it, who is neither funny, informative, instructive and speaks without informed knowledge, I don't take any notice at all. But thanks for your 'support' anyway
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Next