You are here

Patchbay recommendations?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Patchbay recommendations?

Postby ken long » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:59 pm

About to splash out on another patchbay.

Anyone use this by Neutrik http://www.studiospares.com/patchbays/neu-48-way-patch-bay/invt/440910/?

Can anyone recommend alternatives? Want something rugged so happy to push the boat out slightly...
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Re: Patchbay recommendations?

Postby The Elf » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:27 pm

Samson S-Patch. They've been perfect from day one - and the front panel normalisation switching is a very useful feature.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ken long » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:43 pm

thanks Elf. I like Samson gear (own a few DIs) - well-built. I'll go with this then.

Cheers!
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:53 pm

Can't speak for the Samson, but I have the Neutrik and it has proved utterly reliable in use. I consider it a bargain at the price.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Frequent Poster

Making music: Eagle Alley ... Recording music: Mr Punch's Studio  

Number 1 in a field of 1.

Postby Zukan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:24 am

Mosses and Mitchell if you have large ones.
Zukan

Samplecraze   Stretch That Note Masterclasses

Postby Mixedup » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:29 am

large one. oo-er missus.

+1 for Moses and Mitchell, or Neutrik/Re'an if you want smaller holes (ie bantam TT, for 96 sockets in a 1U rack).

TBH, though, it's just metal touching metal and occasionally switches, which leaves little to go wrong... and I've had several of those Behringer switchable ones over the years, none of which have failed me.
Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:26 pm

Mixedup wrote:and I've had several of those Behringer switchable ones over the years, none of which have failed me.

OTOH there's people on GS'll tell you they can hear the difference a Behringer patchbay makes to the sound. Must be true as I can't find a pinch of salt right now ...

CC
ConcertinaChap
Frequent Poster

Making music: Eagle Alley ... Recording music: Mr Punch's Studio  

Number 1 in a field of 1.

Postby Mixedup » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:39 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:OTOH there's people on GS'll tell you they can hear the difference a Behringer patchbay makes to the sound. Must be true as I can't find a pinch of salt right now ...

Yes, there are too many people on Gearslutz who will tell you anything, and stubbornly believe it themselves into the bargain even when presented with strong evidence to the contrary...

If those entirely passive metal connections from one jack to the other had been coated in snake-oil, then maybe they'd perform even better
Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:37 pm

Mixedup wrote:
TBH, though, it's just metal touching metal and occasionally switches, which leaves little to go wrong... and I've had several of those Behringer switchable ones over the years, none of which have failed me.

Hmm - connectors are usually the most unreliable part of any electronic system so there is more likelihood of something going wrong with a patchbay than almost any other part of the system. In my experience, it is exposure to tobacco smoke that really kills patchbays so they ought to be pretty reliable if used in a non-smoking environment.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby Mixedup » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:46 pm

Really? Never really experienced huge problems with connectors; and certainly not female ones as on a patch bay. Unless broken ones. Plenty of problems with cables and male connectors that have been run over by wheeled chairs and rack cases etc. But that affects whatever you plug them into!

Ditto smoke. Grime. Grease. Gets into sockets whether on a patchbay or desk or gear. So yes, there's a certain argument in not using a patchbay; and there's an argument in hard-wiring cables to the back of a pro patchfield; or using DB25, EDAC or whatever. But it's a relatively expensive option for little benefit IMHO.

Always up for buying quality, and I try my damndest not to let Behringer electronics near my audio... but I've had 6 or 7 of these; none of which have ever failed me. But then I don't smoke. Or perhaps I've just been lucky...
Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Postby ken long » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:12 am

Its not so much the design which is the problem on cheaper gear but the build. I've used lots of Behry gear over the years. Some of it performs well, some of it not. And a colleague of mine uses 2 of those behry patchbays and one of them is noisy and the connectors move when you patch things in and out.

In any case, I got the Samson yesterday and it's built, just as I expected, like a tank. The front switching is a great bonus. The only thing that was a problem was it needed some vaseline to fit into my rack. It seems to be one or two mm too wide.
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.

Postby IvanSC » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:56 am

Ken - among a BUNCH of studio stuff I am getting rid of, I have a couple of Patchbays.
A Neutrik one with jacks front and back & a hard wired Signex CP that can run mono or stereo.

PM me and I'll make you an offer you cant refuse if you want one of them.

Mods: This is not a "for sale" ad.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster

Me? But I`m such a loveable old bugger!

Postby ken long » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:00 am

Thanks Ivan, but I've gone with the Elf's suggestion and I received and patched it up last week. Very very happy. Thanks again Elf!
ken long
Frequent Poster

I'm All Ears.