You are here

Cubase 6 problem: creating and saving projects to a new folder

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Cubase 6 problem: creating and saving projects to a new folder

Postby Strangy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi all, I tried to create a new project in Cubase 6 last night and encountered a problem I’ve not seen before… Just wondering if anyone has experienced it or can shed some light:

Attempted to start a new project / create a new folder but as soon as I clicked new folder Cubase decided to hang, requiring a Task Manager end-task. I restarted my pc and tried again, this time I was able to set the project folder name but when I entered a project name and clicked ok Cubase crashed again.

Looking in Windows Explorer - whilst Cubase had created the folder with the correct project name the contents seems to be a list of my entire C drive > program files! However, all of these folders are empty…

For info I was trying to save both projects to my 'E drive' (a different physical hard drive), I tried Cubase again later and saved in a different hard drive and that still works fine…

Does anyone have any suggestions ? or do I turn a blind eye to my E drive and move on

cheers!
Strangy
Regular

Re: Cubase 6 problem: creating and saving projects to a new folder

Postby BJG145 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:52 pm

Any differences in drive technology/connection/format...? If the program consistently crashes when saving to E but works fine with other drives, first thing I'd do would be to run Scandisk on E...
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby Strangy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:21 pm

Hi BJG145, thanks for the suggestion, both drives are the same format/connection etc, been working flawlessly for 3+ years so I'll try the scandisk utility once i get back home Sunday.

cheers
Strangy
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:29 am

You can chase problems like this, or just go back to an earlier drive image backup. Personally I'd head for the latter.

You *do* have drive image backups, don't you?...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Strangy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:45 pm

Just tried scandisk and all drives are fine luckily. Also just tried creating a new project on E and everything work's fine again! strange

to the Elf > I make regular back ups of data but not got image drive back-ups. If you have any recommendations for software that'd be great thanks (win xp).
Strangy
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:11 pm

STRANGY wrote:Just tried scandisk and all drives are fine luckily. Also just tried creating a new project on E and everything work's fine again!
Glad you've got it sorted out - now do an image back up while it's working!!!!

STRANGY wrote:to the Elf > I make regular back ups of data but not got image drive back-ups.
Hopefully you're going to get away with it this time, but imagine how much time and effort re-building your system drive would be...

STRANGY wrote:If you have any recommendations for software that'd be great thanks (win xp).
I use Acronis True Image. Some like it, some don't. It's not as simple to use as it used to be, but it does the job. I think there's a freebie by Paragon, but I haven't tried it.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Strangy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:10 am

Cheers Elf, I will create a back up, in fact next payday I'm purchasing some backup software and a new hard drive (it's just so very dull isn't it...)

Just recently my 2 year old external drive failed actually (my back up/storage drive - had a Cyclic Redundancy Check error) so now would be a very wise time to change my backup strategy! I now also need to purchase some retrieval software to fix that drive (it contained my itunes library and word files etc which aren't backed up elsewhere unfortunately...) I'm learning my lesson the hard way
Strangy
Regular

Postby Exalted Wombat » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:58 am

STRANGY wrote:I make regular back ups of data but not got image drive back-ups. If you have any recommendations for software that'd be great thanks (win xp).

For a simple complete image, isn't there something in Windows, even as far back as XP? For incremental backups, including access to individual files, I guess it's Ghost or Acronis. Both can be complicated to use, both work when set up and used properly. People get quite passionate over the choice :-)
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.