You are here

Guitar + effects... where in the chain impedance is no longer an issue?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Guitar + effects... where in the chain impedance is no longer an issue?

Postby SMV_Argentina » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:25 am

Dear friends... a short one.

It is clear for me that impedance is an issue on the connection from the GTR to the amplifier.

I use a volume pedal as my first "effect"... after that, is important to keep Hi-Z or after the first device, I can move forward with low-Z inputs.

Another one. I also have a Variax 700 Gtr. The instument goes to a "box" and from it (Line 6 forum says) is a "line level instrument like an active pickup bass guitar...". No reference to impedance whatsoever, but I assume it is a low-z output. In such a case, using a Hi-Z volume pedal is a problem?

Thanks!!
SMV_Argentina
Regular

Re: Guitar + effects... where in the chain impedance is no longer an issue?

Postby James Perrett » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:04 pm

If you are using passive pickups with a Hi-Z volume pedal you will need to feed it into a Hi-Z input.

You can use a low-Z device into your Hi-Z volume pedal but the volume pedal needs to be followed by a Hi-Z device if the volume pedal is to work properly. If you try to feed a Hi-Z pedal into a low-Z input you end up with all the gain at the top end of the volume pedal.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Re: Guitar + effects... where in the chain impedance is no longer an issue?

Postby SMV_Argentina » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Thanks! Your answer pretty much describes the issues I am seeing in some of my setups...
SMV_Argentina
Regular