You are here

audio interface blues

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

audio interface blues

Postby lachha » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:41 pm

some blues chords are quite dissonant. On my setup the expected dissonance doesn't get maintained or doesn't happen to the degree it should, like something along the signal chain is dissolving it. As the arrangement is fairly sparse I don't think it would be a frequency masking issue, and dissonant notes would have enough differing harmonics not to mask eachother, surely. This is all in the mids. I could turn up the volume/velocity on the notes not coming through, but I am reluctant to do this since it could be an error.

Could this be a D-A conversion issue?

Everything is VST generated, my interface is M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496, listening on headphones Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro, with Reaper switched to mono.

Having read this month's editorial 'upgrade the weakest link' do I need to buy something?
lachha
Poster

I don't have to spray to be powerful

Re: audio interface blues

Postby BJG145 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:36 am

You'd need to post up a clip for us to hear what's going on there.
BJG145
Frequent Poster

Postby lachha » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:56 am

Good point, I'll see if I can capture it somehow.
lachha
Poster

I don't have to spray to be powerful

Postby Jonnypopisical » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:15 pm

Surely your sounds / instrument with play a MUCH bigger role than the A-D or D-A??

JP
Jonnypopisical
Frequent Poster

Mac Pro, Logic Pro, lots of software and 17 hard drives!

Postby Strangy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:58 pm

bounce it down digitally and go listen somewhere else... It's highly unlikley to be down to the audio interface! Since you said it's all in the mids, even some cheap ipod style buds should be detailed enough for this purpose...

I'd also try switching mono off. There could be some phase issues collapsing from stereo to mono which is cancelling out certain frequencies. In which case try a different VSTi.
Strangy
Regular