You are here

The "RIGHT" studio monitors????

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

The "RIGHT" studio monitors????

Postby Drumpy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:40 am

Firstly I hope I am on the right forum....

Now, I have been doing some homework on studio monitors and the more I read the more confused I get. Make? Size? Size of room? Personal choice? BUDGET??... I don't have a huge budget, probably about R8000 (+- $700). I mix mainly rock and blues, thus I need something that can handle a wide variety of frequencies.

What I have looked at in my price range in South Africa is:
M-AUDIO BX8.... These are the 8" models in my price range

Then in a 6" range
Alesis M1
Yahaha HS50M 5" though

So if anyone can help, I would so freakin happy!!!!!

Re: The "RIGHT" studio monitors????

Postby SafeandSound Mastering » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:01 am

You can have a look at this as a general guide to consider... but nothing beats going to a shop and listening to a set. Even if it is not ideal it is often better than online guess work.

Choosing a mixing speaker

A couple of speakers people like on this forum are the Focal CMS50 and the Acoustic Enegry AE22
so try and add them to your shortlist. Ultimately a personal decisions one you have narrowed the vast choice down.

Safe and Sound Mastering
SafeandSound Mastering
Frequent Poster

Postby uphillbothways » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:04 pm

The KRK VXTs are the best monitors on your list. Focal CMS 40s are within your budget, CMS 50s a bit over, both fantastic monitors. You could just about run to a pair of passive AE22s and a second-hand amp - the AE22s are superb and in the right hands will give a better mix than anything under a grand, but they're unusual monitors in many respects and very much an acquired taste.

The smaller your room, the smaller your monitors should be. Big woofers will only provide you with more bass if your room is good. If it isn't, you're just making the standing waves bigger. Very few people have rooms large enough and dead enough to benefit from 8" woofers. The most important thing is room acoustics - really cheap monitors in a well-treated room will outperform good monitors in a bad room. If your room isn't treated, allocate about half your budget to acoustic treatment and go for something like the KRK RP4. There are loads of SOS articles about DIY room acoustics. They bang on about it incessantly, because it really is vitally important.

Postby Drumpy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:16 am

Thanks guys, your input will help a great deal... I do however got a deal on a pair of ADAMS A7X's this morning, its second hand, but in perfect condition and right within my budget.

I will follow all your advise and will give feedback soon ;)...

Thanks a million

Postby chew_rocket » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:25 pm

Without doubt... get those Adam A7Xs.