You are here

Masterkey 25 (Acorn Instruments) - any good?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Masterkey 25 (Acorn Instruments) - any good?

Postby kamrai99 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:12 pm

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a laptop 25 key MIDI controller and have been looking at the Akai LPK25 and the Acorn Instruments Masterkey 25.

The LPK25 is well regarded and has been around for a couple years now. Basic keyboard with a built-in arp.
The Masterkey 25 seems to be less well known, but what reviews there are seem to be positive. This has a single fader and 4 rotary controllers, which for me will be more useful than the LPK25.

Does anybody have any experience of the Masterkey 25 (or 49 or 61)? I just want to make sure it is good quality before parting with my cash.

Cheers!
Kam.
kamrai99
Regular

Re: Masterkey 25 (Acorn Instruments) - any good?

Postby chris... » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:29 pm

I have the Akai unit, which I chose for portability. It seems fine, for such a small keyboard.

Acorn - I guess you mean this:

http://www.acorn-instruments.com/usb-keyboards/Masterkey-25-Portable-USB-Keyboard#geeky_stuff

Never used one, but the dimensions on the website make it significantly bigger than the Akai. It may have bigger keys too.

You want to decide how big a unit you want.
chris...
Frequent Poster

Postby DHustwayte1990 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:26 am

got a masterkey 49, its a nice little keyboard, very lightweight and suprisingly sturdy (considering how much its abused!). it also came bundled with an artist version of studio one.

I have had one issue though, it stops sometimes and does not respond (still can't figure out if its the keyboard or the usb ports on its way out)
DHustwayte1990
Poster

Postby kamrai99 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:13 pm

Thanks for your feedback guys. I've researched many more options in the meantime and decided to go with the Masterkey 25 as it has the combination of features that most suit my needs and budget

Cheers!
kamrai99
Regular