You are here

Anyone recommend a good switch cleaner spray?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Anyone recommend a good switch cleaner spray?

Postby Kolakube » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi guys,

After a spray that can be channeled via a straw (like WD40) that is great at getting gunk of delicate electronics like circuit boards and audio ins and outs on my patchbay and such.

UK sellers only. (Ebay preferred, get sick to death of having to have an account with every shop I want to buy one single item from these days. Even the ones who dont you have to fill out names and addresses, I mean why, its all on Paypal that I pay with anyhow.)
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Re: Anyone recommend a good switch cleaner spray?

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:49 pm

Hi Kolakube!

A lot of us here recommend DeOxit, which does indeed come with a straw :bouncy:

I wrote a FAQ about cleaning switches, pots and faders explaining all here:

www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php ... ber=717481

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:55 pm

It's expensive, but the can I bought over ten years ago is still going strong.

This is the cheapest I've found it on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caig-Deoxit-Contact-Lubrication-Cl...

At £16.95 for the 142g can is a very good price considering many other eBay outlets seem to be selling the 14g mini-spray for the same price :headbang:

e.g. this one :frown:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Caig-Deoxit-Fader-Lube-Potentiometer-Cleaner-14g-/380489071217?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item5896ea7a71

Martin
Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby Dynamic Mike » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:50 am

Servisol Super 10 has always been my choice. £4.99 in Maplin, paypal accepted & 90 minute delivery option.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster

Clinging on in quiet desperation is the English way. Well apparently not anymore it isn't. 

Postby zenguitar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:22 pm

I'm another long term Servisol Super 10 user.

Deoxit is brilliant, but Servisol comes very close and is a lot cheaper. In an ideal world I would have a can of Deoxit for the good quality pots and sliders on things like mixing desks and mic-pres, and Servisol for things like guitars, amps, FX pedals that have a hard life and sometimes need to have the pots and switches flushed out to remove heavier dirt and debris.

As Martin says, a can of Deoxit lasts a long time, and Servisol is cheap enough to use very liberally indeed (and can still last a long time!).

A better option for PCB's is a selection of soft brushes and a vacuum cleaner as the problem is usually dust. Circuit boards aren't especially delicate and it is usually a lot better and quicker to carefully brush them clean than wash them. A 1" or 1/2" decorators brush with soft bristles is ideal, artists brushes with shorter bristles are great for tight places, and a toothbrush is great too. But get a new brush/s and keep them for dry use and dusting they'll last for years.

Loosen the dust with the brushes and pick it up with the vacuum cleaner as you go. And resist the temptation to make any fans spin with the vacuum cleaner, it's fun but the motors turn into generators when used like that and can potentially damage circuits.

If you do have sticky residues from fluids like tea/coffee/soft drinks/beer on a circuit board it is better to use distilled water, isopropyl alcohol, or a mixture of both to wash the board carefully (after brushing the dust off first), using a soft toothbrush if needed. Then leave it for a good 24 hours to fully dry, ideally in an airing cupboard or similar.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar

OC/DC - All the right notes in exactly the right places.

Postby James Perrett » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:33 pm

I'm another Servisol user - I reckon my can must be getting on for 20 years old now. When I worked in a TV/Radio shop, it was the choice of the repair guys.

James.
James Perrett

JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration.
http://www.jrpmusic.co.uk

Postby The Korff » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:14 pm

Hrm... I used isopropanol on a load of ALPS switches on my mixer about a year ago, and some of them are getting scratchy and/or intermittent again :frown: Does Servisol/Deoxit have some kind of lubricant in it as well that would've helped?

Cheers!

Chris
The Korff
Frequent Poster

I AM KORFF

Postby zenguitar » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:25 pm

Yep, both are switch cleaners AND lubricant.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar

OC/DC - All the right notes in exactly the right places.

Postby Chaconne » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:03 pm

This is good to read, I asked for some general switch cleaner / lubricant years ago in one of those nice old shops with hundreds of tiny component drawers stacked up to the ceiling.
They gave me Servisol and I used it without question on all kinds of stuff, but last week I got it out and thought - mmmm - I really should ask about this stuff...!!!
Chaconne
Frequent Poster

Postby mick.n » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:32 pm

Good old Servisol.....been using it for years now. In fact, i bought my first tin of Servisol back in 1973 (a few days after i got married,for some reason i can't recall now). Good stuff, also heard really good reports about the De-oxit stuff too.
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby MonkeySpank » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:49 am

DeOxit brought my crackly Juno 6 sliders back to life. That was over a year ago and they are still crackle-free.

It also 'cured' an intermittent power problem with a wall wart power socket. Oh, and a light fitting in my house that NEVER worked came to life when I sprayed DeOxit into the socket.
MonkeySpank
Regular

Spanky

Postby Kolakube » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:43 am

Sorry for my late reply

Thanks for all info and links. As always, appreciated.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster