You are here

Waves L2 - the sound of todays generation, really?!!

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Waves L2 - the sound of todays generation, really?!!

Postby sc1460 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:05 pm

In a previous Sound on Sound producer Jeff Bhaskar (i think) says quite clearly that when he wants to give his productions a 'today' vibe he straps the Waves L2 on the master buss. (He goes on to say this is 2012 not 1972).

I have tried the L2, the UAD Maximiser, Cytomic Glue and various others in my tool kit and frankly the differences are so subtle very few people can tell the difference between them (including an engineer who works at Star Radio though please refrain from sending in any obvious sarcastic comments).

Surely by the time the track has reached mastering IT IS 99% DONE. Way more factor will have impacted the vibe by that point than the buss compressor at the end?

(I did note that the Fun track he produced went through some what I describe as awesome studios and musicianship, so...)

Anyone else swear by the Waves L2 as the sound of this generation?

Happy New Year!

Re: Waves L2 - the sound of todays generation, really?!!

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:02 pm

I can't say that I do - the Waves L2 is an excellent mastering limiter, but no better than several others in my collection.

In fact, I've just remembered that I included the L2 and L3 Ultramaximisers among the candidates in my transparency tests when reviewing PSP's Xenon back in SOS August 2008:

"To test out PSP's claims of extra loudness with ultimate transparency, I performed some blind tests against a selection of other mastering limiters, comprising Izotope's Ozone 3 Loudness Maximiser module, Voxengo's Elephant 2, Waves' L2 and L3 Ultramaximisers, and Wave Arts' FinalPlug 5."

You can read my personal findings in the above link ;)

Martin Walker

Steampunk & Synth News | Mad Scientist Mode

Postby Combo » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:31 pm

I expect he cited the L2 coz that's what he's got, and therefore, obviously, uses. Rather than meaning that the L2 is the must have-toy if you want to sell records in this day and age.

Its kind of hard to argue that military grade limiting is not the sound of today's generation.
Frequent Poster

Not an expert.

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:35 pm

Me neither. I'm rather partial to Sonnox Limiter.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Jack Ruston » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:42 pm

Yeah I think he's using the L2 as a catch all for digital brickwall limiting. It gets applied to mixes after the bus compression, it gets applied in mastering and gets applied to both stems in the mix and individual sources. People often mix with the limiting in mind. The use of that type of process, or rather the goal of that process has certainly affected the way people mix, for example, bass. SO yeah I think it is fair to say that it's the sound of this generation.

Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster

Postby J-Storm » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:05 am

The L3 Ultra-Maximizer is way better. The L2 is next in line when it comes to Waves Limiter Products. The L3 has more of a subtle warmth after it pumps through unlike the L2. But Like you said, you can BARELY TELL.

I used Cubase 5 and Mastered with L3 and a few other things on this song right here.
Check It Out!

New here

Postby KayDee » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:58 pm

When I used the L2, it always gave me some bad transient squash and bad mid range sounding mixes. When I switched to the Sonnox limiter it was gone. So for me the sound of 2012/2013 is the Sonnox limiter not the L2 8-)

Postby SafeandSound Mastering » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:57 pm

They all sound different (and the same one can sound very different), some are extremely controllable and tweakable. The more you dig in the more you hear their variation and what the many adjustable parameters are doing.

SafeandSound Mastering
Music mastering services
SafeandSound Mastering
Frequent Poster