You are here

Anyone using Summing Boxes Equinox or Mixmaster 20?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Anyone using Summing Boxes Equinox or Mixmaster 20?

Postby Llear » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:13 pm

Greetings,

Anyone using the Great River Mixmaster 20? I am looking into either
the former or Shadow Hills Industries Equinox to mix with ProTools HD and would like to hear hands on feedback. I have Burl audio B80 Mothership and would like to compliment with a great summing box and would not mind desirable coloring.

Thanks in advance

--rl
Llear
New here

Re: Anyone using Summing Boxes Equinox or Mixmaster 20?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:27 pm

Both of those boxes are rather more than just summing boxes. So if you need mic preamps and/or monitor controller facilities that's great -- both are nicely designed if you like that kind of thing and have the budget for it.

However, in both cases the actually summing stage is passive resistive mixing, and if that's what you want then the Roll Music Fulcrom is actually a much more cost-effective option. You can then make up the lost gain using any preamp of your choosing for whatever analogue flavour you desire. KMR in the UK offer a package deal with the Crane Song Flamingo preamp, which is a very versatile summing system indeed.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: Anyone using Summing Boxes Equinox or Mixmaster 20?

Postby Llear » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:19 pm

Thank you for your timely reply. Yes I do need the Pre's and monitoring section. I am interested
in hands on feedback of the summing section, have you or anyone you know mixed with either box.
Thanks in advance.

--llear
Llear
New here